• Help Support TNDeer:

Center Hill bluegill

Dbllunger

Grabbed a few tubes of crickets and hit the lake Friday with a friend and had a decent day on the gills. We brought home 45 keepers and released no telling how many smaller ones. Pretty much my favorite eating fish. Can't wait to fry some up.

b19d65a2498517f5e5a6876084ea7b54.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Re: Center Hill bluegill

I clean 32 yesterday caught from my favorite farm pond. That's over my cleaning limit by 2...LOL. First time the float went under a 5 lb channel cat ate my cricket. Had some fun with it on a 10 foot B&M crappie rod. Got it in, remove the hook and sent it on it's way.
Said to remind myself to take long handle dipnet in case that happens again. I had to lead it around the pond to a place I could get down to the waters edge and get ahold of it to get the hook out.

Buzzard Breath":7amihnya said:
What's the secret to cleaning 45 gills?

1) Fish cooler on the left
2) Gut bucket on the right
3) Bowl or bag right behind cleaning board
4) Do it in the shade

:D

Dbllunger":12fqybfp said:
RUGER":12fqybfp said:
Buzzard Breath":12fqybfp said:

4) Do it in the shade

Nailed it! I do it in my garage with a big fan blowing on me!

I been meaning to add the fan to my set up but haven't yet. LOL

I have it down now where from the second I start getting stuff ready to the second I have everything put up and the fish in the kitchen I average 1 minute per fish. :D

I wouldn't know where to start trying to catch bluegill on a lake that deep! It frustrated the heck out of me in our club bass tournament last month (first time I've ever been on the lake).

We have another club tournament there this month (night time).

I would like to be able to get the boys in to a good mess like that. Whenever we go try it on Old Hickory we catch nothing but little bitty pumpkin seeds and bream. We may catch 15-20 in an hour (about the limit of their attention span), but not a single one will be worth cleaning.

TNReb":1ilmnj7a said:
I wouldn't know where to start trying to catch bluegill on a lake that deep! It frustrated the heck out of me in our club bass tournament last month (first time I've ever been on the lake).

I would like to be able to get the boys in to a good mess like that. Whenever we go try it on Old Hickory we catch nothing but little bitty pumpkin seeds and bream. We may catch 15-20 in an hour (about the limit of their attention span), but not a single one will be worth cleaning.

We launch at Ragland Bottoms ramp and fish coves within coves for the most part. Chert banks and not rocky banks. No corks or bobbers, just split shot and small hooks 4lb line and let it sink to the bottom. If your catching a lot of smalls and pumpkin seeds then it is probably because your fishing too shallow. Most we catch will be in 5-10 foot of water. Oh yeah, crickets! You can catch them with other stuff but crickets are king.

RUGER":1sar40j9 said:
Dbllunger":1sar40j9 said:
RUGER":1sar40j9 said:

4) Do it in the shade

I been meaning to add the fan to my set up but haven't yet. LOL

I have it down now where from the second I start getting stuff ready to the second I have everything put up and the fish in the kitchen I average 1 minute per fish. :D[/quote]

That's pretty darn quick in my opinion. I haven't gotten quite that fast but I hope to keep practicing! :super:

Dbllunger":1b9mzxjj said:
RUGER":1b9mzxjj said:
Buzzard Breath":1b9mzxjj said:

4) Do it in the shade

[emoji106]

Thanks. I guess I just need to get more practice at it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Dbllunger":21g0kwly said:
TNReb":21g0kwly said:

We launch at Ragland Bottoms ramp and fish coves within coves for the most part. Chert banks and not rocky banks. No corks or bobbers, just split shot and small hooks 4lb line and let it sink to the bottom. If your catching a lot of smalls and pumpkin seeds then it is probably because your fishing too shallow. Most we catch will be in 5-10 foot of water. Oh yeah, crickets! You can catch them with other stuff but crickets are king.

I was gonna say, I have never fished for bream there but I would have guessed you need to get a little deeper.

Dbllunger":10i1cytl said:
Gravey":10i1cytl said:
Let me know when you're frying them up so I can come over and make sure you don't over indulge yourself.

No chance sucker!
No need to be so hateful! :moon:
Dbllunger":10i1cytl said:
TNReb":10i1cytl said:

We launch at Ragland Bottoms when skiing but I've never fished Center Hill. Beautiful lake.

Latest posts

Back