Chickasaw Plum Trees

DoubleRidge

Good friend of mine brought me a bag of wild plums...he was told they were chicksaw plum. He found three or four small trees that are loaded. Semi sweet nice looking fruit. Anyone have any experience starting a native plum tree from seed? From youtube it appears to be possible...just wonder if progating a cutting or digging up suckers would be more successful? I'd like to try and get some started. Any suggestions on getting plum trees started?
20240620_052732.jpg

Last edited:

Ski

Plums are easy. I start lots of them from cuttings and transplanting suckers. Most survive long enough to be eaten to the root lol. But once the root is established they just keep spreading and suckering. Wildlife of all sorts love them.

They need pollinators to fruit. Cuttings or suckers will grow but if from same tree none will produce fruit until there's a pollinator. Since you've got fruit producing trees already, I'd take cuttings and suckers from all of them. Then let nature do its thing. Sunlight is key. They'll be a thicket quicker than an apple tree can begin producing fruit.

Latest posts