• Help Support TNDeer:

choosing the knife

tomgarc

Hello guys,
My parents live in Nashville. Father likes fishing. I thought about Christmas presents for them… I would like to order a fixed blade knife for him as a present. What manufacturers make good knives? What knife do you have? Share your feedbacks,
thanks

What is the knife to be used for? At first I assumed you were talking fillet knife since this is the fishing forum but wanted to make sure.

Bubba blade is good if its for filleting. A good all around fixed blade knife would be a buck classic 102. Its not too big or too small, good steel, holds an edge, and easy to sharpen.

JimFromTN":3ar9n3i7 said:
What is the knife to be used for? At first I assumed you were talking fillet knife since this is the fishing forum but wanted to make sure.

Yes, I need to find a good fillet knife. He had this knife
https://www.mrosupply.com/lighting/emer ... 5509_nebo/ but he lost it. thanks for the idea with Bubba blade. Possibly, I will order their 9 inch fillet knife at the sale. The price is good now.

You've had that for awhile. I've had mine for 20+ years (black handle). I send it in to get sharpened every 2-4 years and they almost always send it back with a new blade. I do sharpen it myself, but it forms a hump from me almost never needing it at full length.

I always use mine at full length because of the huge fish I have to filet (NOT!!). I did have to extend it out one time to filet a red fish I caught.

Mine is about 20 years old. They may have replaced the green handle with the orange handle. Mine was about half the price they are now.

I just bought a Ka-Bar. Didn't know they made a fillet knife and I haven't used it yet but it has a great feel with what seems to be good steel also. I think it's going to be a good blade and American made.

for strickly fileting fish, I would us an electric filet knife... I finally had a friend talk me into using one and WOW... so much easier....

Latest posts

Back