• Help Support TNDeer:

(Clinch river) This really sucks.

TresMon

I taught myself to fly fish on the Clinch when I was 16 & 17 years old. That was a really long time ago.

Granted I have only fished little mountain streams for the last 10+ years...but a trout is mostly a trout and fishing with fly's & nymphs is mostly fishing with fly's and nymphs....

Ive been to the Clinch 4 times now recently and got horribly skunked EVERY time. I don't mean, not a fish to hand...I mean not a single take/hit!!!

I've used:

14-18 Bead head Pheasants
18-22 BH Zebras in all colors
14-18 sulfurs during hatches
17-18 scuds in all colors
10-16 black wooly worms
10-16 olive " "

I'm not new at this. I can cast, I'm not frailing the water. I'm mending line and not allowing drag on my flies.....
All in all I have been fishing the Clinch not quite 30 years. I've never been skunked like this.

??????????????????????

I'm about to start fishing with minnows D@mn it.

I'm open to any ideas & suggestions.

TresMon..... been a few years since I spent any time there but the last two trips I understood why they call it the "Grinch" sometimes. Found a few patterns I think might work there and need to spend some time over there. Wish I could help but I'm not a tailwater guy, hopefully Setterman can give you some good advice.

I have a friend that was up there this week for an afternoon trip after a work assignment. His afternoon started slow. He said there were some sulphurs popping, but the fish were not keyed on them. He finally looked down at his waders and saw a bunch of little black specks. They were LITTLE black caddis. He finished strong with a black CDC Henry's Fork Caddis pattern. Hope that helps!

I was out there the other day and struggled with my usuals. After the wind picked up and was blowing my indicator upstream, I tied on a size 12 March Brown softhackle and cast upstream, agressively stripping it back to me. I was catching fish every 6-10 casts. It turned a slow day into a riot. Most of the fish were small, but several were in the slot.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scn":1wzsgljr said:
I have a friend that was up there this week for an afternoon trip after a work assignment. His afternoon started slow. He said there were some sulphurs popping, but the fish were not keyed on them. He finally looked down at his waders and saw a bunch of little black specks. They were LITTLE black caddis. He finished strong with a black CDC Henry's Fork Caddis pattern. Hope that helps!

big thanks for that info. my son and i was on KY lake yesterday and the bluegill were hitting those under the cypress trees. i burned up the internet trying to find out what those little moth looking flies were called. i knew they werent lake flies(midges), those look like mosquitoes and usually hatch in february on KY lake.

what would be a good nymph or emerging wet fly pattern for them?

Back