• Help Support TNDeer:

cold water shock

WTM

just a reminder. wear a pfd and proper clothes always. i use ice bibs and jacket. keeps the water out and extra floatation in case i go in as well as a skier rope ladder tied to a cleat until the water gets above 60.

anyway, two ways you can die, cardiac arrest and drowning from the gasp reflex and it doesnt matter how young or old you are. i know of three people who have died from it and one was a 16 year old.

I fish a lot by myself in winter,early spring pulling planer boards I always wear life jacket or floatation coat but I'll have my Ultrex on constant If I fall out, my boat will just keep on going I wish there was something like a kill switch etc that would automatically shut the trolling motor off even then I don't think I'd be able to swim 20-30 yards to the boat

Also worth mentioning.. make sure you are 100% confident you can get back in your boat if you fall out.

Pulling yourself back in isn't easy if you have on a lot of clothes - regardless of how good of shape you think you're in.

Make sure you know how to get your emergency ladder down if you have one. Consider tying a rope to something with knots for hand holds and a loop in the end for your foot.

Keep a dry set of clothes on board.

I fish a lot by myself in winter,early spring pulling planer boards I always wear life jacket or floatation coat but I'll have my Ultrex on constant If I fall out, my boat will just keep on going I wish there was something like a kill switch etc that would automatically shut the trolling motor off even then I don't think I'd be able to swim 20-30 yards to the boat
That's what I worry about. I fish by myself some in the winter on KY. I am very cautious when on the main lake. I fall in with the current and my boat is on spotlock it could get dicey real quick.

Wear boots or other footwear that you can kick off without having to unlace. The first drowning that a friend worked was two older men fishing. They both leaned over the boat to net a crappie on the same side. The boat flipped and they went in. As they swam for the shore the last words from one of them was, I can't kick hard enough my boots are full of water.

Latest posts

Back