• Help Support TNDeer:

Competition from MLF is having an effect

B.A.S.S. had to do something or risk becoming obsolete. Bass fishing has evolved, technology has evolved and public scrutiny is at it's highest level. We will probably see even more changes as the year progresses.

I still say the best thing they could do is put an official in every boat and release the fish immediately like MLF does.
The argument that it would kill B.A.S.S. due to not having weigh in's is pretty much null and void now obviously.

RUGER":2bfvv0av said:
I still say the best thing they could do is put an official in every boat and release the fish immediately like MLF does.
The argument that it would kill B.A.S.S. due to not having weigh in's is pretty much null and void now obviously.

I agree with you. Having been on both sides of the weigh in scales for many, many years, I have seen the need for changes. The entire B.A.S.S. style collect, cull and weigh-in system is outdated. It worked for years, better methods are available. Video technology, time stamps, accurate scales are now affordable and available.

Technology allows deeper fish to be found and targeted. These fish are at greater risk than shallow caught fish. If they are fizzed and released immediately their chances for survival are much greater. These same fish are further stressed as they ride around in a live well for several hours. Delayed mortality can be a big issue if the fish care is not excellent.

Even with instant MLF style catch, weigh and release, deep hook sets, etc will still kill some fish. It is inevitable that some fish will die regardless. If tournament fishing wants to stay relevant it has to evolve with the times.

Kirk":3gsa5f4m said:
RUGER":3gsa5f4m said:

I agree with you. Having been on both sides of the weigh in scales for many, many years, I have seen the need for changes. The entire B.A.S.S. style collect, cull and weigh-in system is outdated. It woked for years, better methods are available. Video technology, time stamps, accurate scales are now affordable and available.

Technology allows deeper fish to be found and targeted. These fish are at greater risk than shallow caught fish. If they are fizzed and released immediately their chances for survival are much greater.
These same fish are further stressed as they ride around in a live well for several hours. Delayed mortality can be a big issue if the fish care is not excellent.

Even with instant MLF style catch, weigh and release, deep hook sets, etc will still kill some fish. It is inevitable that some fish will die regardless.

thats all fine and dandy, but as far as fish kills, id be more worried about the dozens of local tournaments that take place now on the better lakes. i see pics all the time with guys or guy trying to hold 5 fish for a photo op with their hands ran all up in their gills. then there was the triton owners fiasco on ky lake a couple of years ago with a 100 or so dead big fish washed up on the banks. at least the next year, triton owners did reduce the bag to 3. spring is just as bad as summer. you take the bigger fish off the spawning beds and take them 5-10 miles to a weigh in and you've created a lopsided mess. fish swim, but they dont swim that far after release.

in order for BASS or FLW to make a difference would be to convert all of their open tournaments to CWR format, but the logistics of hundreds of tournaments would almost be impossible. then you have the sponsor angle on the tour trail. they are the ones that flip the bill for event hosting to sell their products.

RUGER":1ylx9t7l said:

yes x10

scn":34b1w1tl said:
I like the MLF format and care nothing for the BASS weigh in circus.

I agree

I can't stand seeing a tournament on TV that's not MLF , especially when they pull the big spawners in the boat , let them flop on the carpet for 45 seconds then put them in the livewell . There's just a much better way now and MLF has shown that

I fished a regular bass tournament yesterday and had 4 keepers. The guy that won it had 5 fish and said that was the only 5 fish he caught all day. If it had been the MLF style of fishing I might have had a chance. LOL We got in a stretch of river that seemed to hold every 14 1/2 inch fish that lived in it. Just from pure volume of fish we caught we would have been in contention. I wore out my Golden Rule measuring fish. :D

RUGER":21evxkiv said:
chunkandwind":21evxkiv said:
. Not sure I like the counting every keeper aspect.

Just curious, why not?

they dont count every "keeper". they count every "scorable" bass which according to the cup rules is every bass over 1 pound. with that in mind, which would determine the most skilled angler? one who can catch the most fish or the one who can catch the 5 biggest fish? lol, on KY lake right now it would be the one who can find a fish and catch it.

Latest posts

Back