• Help Support TNDeer:

Comprehensive Caney Report 8-7-08

bowriter

R.I.P.
We just finished a 6.5 hour study of the Caney Fork. Today we concentrated on the lower end, from Stonewall down. We used Brent's shuttle service and it was easy. We started with a few of these.
-F-1.jpg

The we caught between 20-30 of these.

F-2-2.jpg

F-3-2.jpg

We lost some big trout and had some really big ones follow. Then we got into these buzzards.

F-5.jpg

We also caught bass and stripe. We saw turkeys, an eagle, osprey and maybe a sandhill crane. The problem we has low water and low flow. Many of my favorite big fish holes were too low and slow. But now I know the big fish are still there.

90% were caught on blue/silver flash on 4# line. Raised some big fish on jerkbaits but no hits. If I'd had me some night crawlings I coulda jerked the guts outa some gooduns.

We caught a lot of fish but nothing like it should have been. Just have to have more water. We accomplished what we set out to do, i.e. see if the big fish were still in the places they were 20 years ago. They are.

Still hard to catch, too.

OH...did not see another living human being the entire trip including at the ramp. But we did hear banjo music twice.

shorefisherman said:
:cool: thats some good times right there!....even better with some cold beverages :D

We had a mixture of those. Cold water and Dr. Pepper. We had a couple peanutbutter and jelly samiches and one of the walleyes was supper last night.

I had forgotten how much work fishing that part of the river is. I'm so sore this morning I can't blink my eyes.

If they get the sluice flow up to about 2,000fps as they once said or of they will run a gen. for four hours. That will be a killer trip. That part of the river has a lot "dead spots" unless you are fishing for rockfish, aka the biggest detriment to fishing since rotenone. So normally we would run right through those spots and jump from good water to good water. But with the river so low and using just a trolling motor, it isn't practical. The trip is so long that you need to be careful to conserve your battery.

To complicate things, some of those long dead spots look like killer water. It took me a long time to realize they just looked good.

Conversely, it is just that that makes the good holes so good. They get almost no fishing pressure, never have because unless you know exactly what to look for and where, most fishermen either turn back or run on down when they aren't catching fish.

Latest posts

Back