• Help Support TNDeer:

Confession is good for the soul…….

……. or so they say. 😂😂😂😂😂

I didn't want to bog down the kill thread, but I had a very interesting morning.

Got up at 3:30 so I could get in early enough as I was going in blind. Had studied the map and thought I found a good elevation line to check. Got a mile and a quarter in and ran across a hot oak tree. Decided to set up there. I was originally wanting to go a mile and a half.

Beautiful morning in His creation. Got set up and waited for daylight. Had thermal bottoms on but just a t-shirt on top. Nothing but squirrels, and there were a ton of them. Acorns were dropping like crazy.

About 7:30 the wind shifted just like I needed it to. I was finally starting to get cold, but I didn't want to take my jacket out.

About 8 I was getting antsy and started the 'ol "Wait 5 more minutes." game my daddy taught me years ago. When you're ready to get down, "Wait 5 more minutes."

I had been "waiting 5 more minutes" for about a half hour. I wasn't paying too much attention and was about to lose the 5 minute game.

I looked up and she caught me by surprise. I reached up and grabbed my bow. She was in the exact spot I needed her. She went behind a tree and I was able to move my bow over to the off side. She went behind another tree and I was able to draw. She was at 25 yards. I put my pin on her and squeezed my release.

WHAP! I don't know how to describe the sound she made. It was like a bellow, and she fell straight down. It all happened so fast. I knew what had happened, but I've never had it happen to me before.

I guess my arrow hit a twig, or a sapling, or, most probably, I pulled the shot and hit her in the spine right above the back of her ribs.

IMG_3691.webp

I grabbed another arrow and hit her again, shooting through scrubs this time and hitting her about where my thumb is in this picture. I grabbed a third arrow, and by now I'm just trying to get a good shot on her to dispatch her.

I guess I skipped the third arrow off of the dirt. I found it after field dressing her about 50 yards behind her.

IMG_3694.webp

I only had 1 arrow left. She had finally dropped her head. She was bleeding pretty good from the first and second shot. Those Tooth of the Arrow broad heads don't play! I decided to get down, I was only 2 sticks up, and walk up to her and dispatch her. That's the "good shot" in the picture.

IMG_3690.webp

It's times like this that I remember the reason I never wanted to bow hunt over the years. I don't mean to cause suffering when taking game that God blesses me to take. That being said, I really enjoy bow hunting. Getting in there where it gives them a fighting chance!

All in all I am thankful for the hunt and harvest! God blessed our family with provision and we won't have to go to the store to buy meat as much.

IMG_3696.webp

On a side note, I was able to enjoy another memory of my daddy. I miss him in these times. When he passed back in 2000 mama and my sister gave me his 22 revolver.

IMG_3695.webp

He's not here, but his memory was tangible this morning. I miss him.

Thanks for letting me share and "confess". 😂

Thank y'all for being here to listen and just be here. This place really is a special place!

Hope everyone has a great season! I hope to shoot truer next time, should He tarry and give me another opportunity!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back