• Help Support TNDeer:

Cranking rods?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have an opportunity to buy a Duckett Ghost 7' cranking rod for about half of retail.
What exactly is the advantage of say this rod verses a MedHvy, which is what I usually use?

I am considering adding the cranking rod but not sure how much I will really use it?

Just wondering, as I don't really know that much about bass fishing.

My favorite kind of fishing for bass is stuff like whacky worms, flukes, lizards and the occasional lipless crankbait.

I'm not familiar with this particular rod but a real cranking rod with a slow soft tip is worth it's weight in gold. They say you catch more fish because you don't feel them until they have the crankbait completely engulfed, which is probably true. But I can assure you you will land more fish because they can't throw the bait as easy. Again I don't know this particular rod. I still use David Fritts cranking rods I bought in the late 90s. I think mine are fiberglass or have some fiberglass in the composition.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not familiar with this model either but the best cranking rods are designed to have soft tips for two main reasons....1) being able to cast a crankbait farther so it can reach its maximum running depth and stay in that zone longer and 2) all crankbaits of course have treble hooks and the more limber rod allows you to play the fish closer to the boat without as much worry as it surging and pulling free of the hooks.

action and power ratings are 2 seperate things. a lot of cranking rods will have a moderate action where the rod may flex more than half way down the blank as opposed to a fast action which flexes a quarter or a third of the blank. power on the other hand relates to stiffness and the appropriate line weight. the butt section will be thicker. you dont need hook setting power on trebled cranks because the fish basically hooks itself.

you also have to match the reel to the cranking technique and target area as well. close range or short targets match a higher retrieve rate and longer open water require a slow retrieve speed to get the baits down deep.

I like a medium heavy 8' rod. I throw lots of crankbaits in the summertime and also I prefer a 6.3:1 reel, helps get the lure deeper quicker.

Latest posts

Back