• Help Support TNDeer:

Crappie Trolling

Dbllunger

Managed to get in two hours of crappie trolling on Percy Priest Monday afternoon after work before a massive storm blew in and forced me off the lake. The fishing was good while it lasted and I put 11 keepers in the cooler before I had to leave. Trolled 18-22 fow, at 1.7-2.0 mph with 300 series bandit cranks. Baby bass and crawfish were the colors I used and they didn't really seem to have a preference between the two. Hoping to get out again Friday morning for a nice slow troll before it gets too hot.

sharpshooter":2kzsyrmk said:
Awesome!! I want to get into trolling cranks for crappie, never done it before, but seems to produce in the summer.

It is a summertime favorite of mine. I'm terrible with spring crappie fishing plus I like to fish for lots of other types of fish in the spring. Summer is when I fill the freezer with eating fish!

I know a lot of folks troll 300 bandits and keep speeds around what you posted, is there any other "secrets" that would help someone getting started? I assume you are trolling the main creeks. Also what rod setup are you using, length and how many do you troll normally?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

sharpshooter":3limuotk said:
I know a lot of folks troll 300 bandits and keep speeds around what you posted, is there any other "secrets" that would help someone getting started? I assume you are trolling the main creeks. Also what rod setup are you using, length and how many do you troll normally?

I prefer big flat areas with gradual depth changes. If you are not seeing bait or are not catching fish then move until you find bait. I generally only troll two rods at once but lots of people do more. More rods may catch more fish but they are also more to keep up with and more problems with tangling and what not. I easily fill my freezer each summer with just two. I use 6 foot light to light/medium spin rods with Daiwa 1300 spinning reels which are great for just about any kind of spinning rod fishing. 10lb fluoro carbon line. If using mono I go with 6-8lb line.

I love fishing for crappie in the summer and spider rig but despise trolling with bandits. I love to see the fish bite and want to know I had to catch the fish by setting the hook. When I troll I might as well be dragging a net. Just no fun for me at all. But with all the diatribe, it's a great way to put fish in the cooler. Congrats, just not for me.

Dbllunger":1m56ipow said:
sharpshooter":1m56ipow said:

I prefer big flat areas with gradual depth changes. If you are not seeing bait or are not catching fish then move until you find bait. I generally only troll two rods at once but lots of people do more. More rods may catch more fish but they are also more to keep up with and more problems with tangling and what not. I easily fill my freezer each summer with just two. I use 6 foot light to light/medium spin rods with Daiwa 1300 spinning reels which are great for just about any kind of spinning rod fishing. 10lb fluoro carbon line. If using mono I go with 6-8lb line.
Great info, thanks for sharing!
One question, how do you meter the amount of line out with spinning reels? Most people use line counter reels or have a certain technique such as pulling two feet out at a time.
I have only pulled cranks a couple of times and there is definitely an art to it I think although there are cheat sheets online to give you the depth your bait is running with all the factors considered.

X-Tennessean":3njhlfa4 said:
Dbllunger":3njhlfa4 said:
sharpshooter":3njhlfa4 said:

Great info, thanks for sharing!
One question, how do you meter the amount of line out with spinning reels? Most people use line counter reels or have a certain technique such as pulling two feet out at a time.
I have only pulled cranks a couple of times and there is definitely an art to it I think although there are cheat sheets online to give you the depth your bait is running with all the factors considered.

I don't have it down to an exact science as far as depth. I have learned to eyeball how far I cast with how deep the lure runs. I like to keep it running in the 12-15 foot depth range. If you get into shallow water and see it drag a time are two, you get a pretty good feel for it.

Good deal. I still have a couple of those 300s but been caught up fishing for other fish lately. Looks like you had a great day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back