• Help Support TNDeer:

Crappie?

Daniel90

Kinda new to crappie fishing and with all of these post about crappie have a few questions. What do yall normally look for when going in blind on a new lake? Is there a certain water temp when they move up in shallow water?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Going in blind without any imaging systems we used to just look for large trees fallen into the water then estimate where the tops would be. Drop in your lure about 4 ft and give it a few tiny pops. If no bite go down about 6 more inches and continue doing this until you hit a bite. Then you have an estimated depth they are holding at. If you find a mess your lure will get hit quick. Only issue with tree top crappie fishing is get ready to lose some lures to limbs.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Caught two keepers yesterday drifting in the wind not too far from the shore. Just had a small jig tipped with a live minnow while throwing another line for bass, I wasn't even trying hard to catch crappie. If you really get into them you can catch a lot of them. The lake I fished, they cut down trees all the way around the lake to provide cover for crappie in the spring. You can probably find similar things or even submerged Christmas trees on many lakes. Also man made fish attractors which are often marked with a pole or buoy in the water.

If you're not drifting or slow trolling, a crappie jig under a bobber works good too, even without a minnow. Enough wind to make a "crappie ripple" on the surface will keep the bobber moving and bounce the jig around so you just let it sit and wait for a bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back