• Help Support TNDeer:

Cupcake Saturday….

I know, but its more discussion based and subjective and leaves the door open for bias. A point system is clear , open snd will prevent another Florida State issue (like last yr ) or would least reduce the public outrage of a controversial decision- committee members could simply point at the scorecard and say" maybe you should have thought about the points when you played kent state, mercer and ut martin."
Very good points. While the committee members take the schedules into account and try to explain their reasoning, it doesn't stop folks from their conspiracy and pay-off theories. The point system would sooth that outrage. I think the BCS system that was used up until a couple of years ago was computer driven (2 human polls and 6 computer rankings) and seemed to get it right or very close. There were always arguments about the influence of the two human polls.

A point system works pretty well for college basketball because there are a larger number of games played, including a larger number of out-of-conference games, which helps improve the accuracy. Basketball coaches are seeing the benefit of playing tough competition for their team development and for their rankings, win or lose.

Football games, in general, are scheduled farther in advance than basketball games. Coaches can schedule a tough team in basketball and that team will likely end up being a highly ranked team; in football, the big-name team could have fallen off the map by the time the game is played years later. Either way, the team would at least be a higher level team than many of the teams being scheduled now. There may not be enough co-mingling between conferences to be able to completely remove the human element in the playoff rankings.

Was on full display. Finally found a game- ND bs A&M.. But its not a barn burner. I dont understand why big programs from power 5 conferences tee off on little schools when it seems if you scheduled nonconference power 5 schools you would get more consideration for the playoffs. And not pointing fingers at anyone program- they all did it today, except for a few. You would think TV ratings would be better if the matchup's were more balanced and competitive. I understand why the little school will go to an SEC powers field and take a beat down for a big check but i dont see what the big school gets from it, other than an easy win. Im a football fan , not a team fan, and i want to see competitive football. Looks like some better matchups next week.

On a side note- hats off to the Dores, played a good school and found a way to win.
I would rather watch a 66 point beat down all day everyday than to watch a game like that notre dame snoozer

Maybe instead of cupcake games, colleges can schedule these smaller schools before the season and call them "pre-season' games. They could charge admission just like it's a real game. All concessions at full price. Play players that otherwise wouldn't get to play in "real" games.

Maybe instead of cupcake games, colleges can schedule these smaller schools before the season and call them "pre-season' games. They could charge admission just like it's a real game. All concessions at full price. Play players that otherwise wouldn't get to play in "real" games.
I like that idea!

Latest posts

Back