• Help Support TNDeer:

CWD progression

I have no clue how important carcass importation laws are to "slowing the spread". However, the little scrolling on social media and you tube I participate in, I'm amazed at how many people bring fully intake heads back home. They are completely ignorant to those specific laws.

Unless Bald Eagles, hawks, buzzards and coyotes are stopped from spreading CWD, laws regulating transport of animals make no difference.

I don't believe dead deer carcasses had much to to with the spread.
The spread was more about the transport of infected live deer (initially).
Then, dispersing & rutting bucks spreading it further, and further.

One thing that may spread it more than hunters' transporting their carcasses is the spread of prions by vultures that consume the deer killed by CWD. Vultures are migratory and "hunt" both sides of major rivers.

Are most deer that die by CWD (year round) just consumed by vultures & coyotes, then the prions are spread far & wide by, vultures & coyotes?
A TWRA biologist told (at one of the meetings) the coyotes and buzzards could spread CWD through their poop after eating from an infected animal. He then told us that eagles and hawks could not spread it. If coyotes and buzzards can spread it, eagles and hawks can also. I follow the law, but stopping transport of dead animals does basically nothing to slow CWD.

Latest posts

Back