• Help Support TNDeer:

Deer aging....

redblood

i see so many threads on age this deer, and many are mine lol. But i challenge everyone to get meaningful feedback if you are lucky enough to harvest that deer (and share the results with us). There are alot of companies out there now that do the cementum annuli deer aging with just the extraction of a single tooth. Its very affordable and gives you the most accurate results (short of holding the birth certificate). the deerage.com guys are great. They catalog their results. I know that aging by jaw bone extraction gives some feedback, but its also varies greatly by diet, occlusion and other factors. it not expensive and results are fairly fast. I have done 2 so far, but plan on doing every buck i harvest from here on out.

I have been tempted to send off some teeth to verify, but never have. Would be nice to see how they compare, and then make a plaque with teeth, pics, and analysis results by age classes.

Despite Cementum Lab Aging appearing to be more accurate (and it should be), human lab error has been known to make this method less accurate aging by tooth wear.

In a particular region, aging by tooth wear provides excellent trend data, even though it is often off by a year. But then, even when cementum lab aging is off by a year (or more), would most hunters ever know that, or just take it as the gospel?

That said, I would generally expect cementum lab aging to be more accurate than the old tooth wear method. Just be aware human error is omni-present, and some deer are born as "tweeners".

Latest posts

Back