• Help Support TNDeer:

Deer are hitting trophy rock (pic)

If your dead set on the ground blind you should do it. Best way to learn is seeing things first hand and you might even score a good deer with a little bit of luck anyways.

nate17 said:
If your dead set on the ground blind you should do it. Best way to learn is seeing things first hand and you might even score a good deer with a little bit of luck anyways.
maybe I need some bad luck too so I can learn first hand what effect I can have on the bucks by hunting too close. I had almost too much luck last year, lol

Or maybe it will work out ok, I'll just keep in mind that I don't want to be bumping the deer around because it seems to have pushed all the bucks away from the area. It all started when I bumped that good 8 pt off the bed, then I started ground hunting in his core area, and I kept walking through the thicket just to learn the lay of the land, and probably drove all the bucks out. I can put a cam on just about any trail in there and get pics of old momma does, but no horns. Now whether or not my ground blind setup will keep bucks out or not, might have to just wait and see.

I think the only reason i bring it up is, i have a friend that hunts exclusively off the ground with a recurve. He is a da** good woodsman. He told me he had 3 mature deer with in bow range this year, one of them being a typical 14 point that would score around 180. He did not kill any of the 3. His reasons were that he never had a window to conceal movement enough to get into a shooting position or winds got him before he had an opportunity to get into shooting position.

Side note, he has 3 deer that he has killed off the ground with a bow that will go better than 140. So it can be done, but he is very very meticulous. He will still hunt a thicket and it might take him 2 or 3 hrs just to move a couple hundred yards.

nate17 said:
I think the only reason i bring it up is, i have a friend that hunts exclusively off the ground with a recurve. He is a da** good woodsman. He told me he had 3 mature deer with in bow range this year, one of them being a typical 14 point that would score around 180. He did not kill any of the 3. His reasons were that he never had a window to conceal movement enough to get into a shooting position or winds got him before he had an opportunity to get into shooting position.

Side note, he has 3 deer that he has killed off the ground with a bow that will go better than 140. So it can be done, but he is very very meticulous. He will still hunt a thicket and it might take him 2 or 3 hrs just to move a couple hundred yards.
I would like to build up the patience to hunt like that some time.

I think it takes a different kind of person. Im not gonna knock on the guy cause hes a close friend, but his brain operates at a slower speed than normal. If he wasnt scared of bein in a tree, i got no doubt hed pound a 4.5 plus about every year. Hes told me lots of stories about deer and even nice bucks being less than 10 yards from him and him letting them walk off because it wasnt what he was lookn for. Hes also told me lots of stories how he spooked deer lol.

That's crazy. Yeah I don't mind being 50 ft in a tree with a gun or 10 yd from a deer on the ground with a bow. Although its much more an adrenaline rush on the ground or with a bow at all. When I did kill those 2 deer in a row from 50 ft up a tree, it was a great feeling filling my tags at the very end of the quota hunt, but it wasn't quite the same rush as killing one at 5 yards 20 ft in a tree with a bow. Now 5 yards on the ground with a bow will be the toughest but I want to pull it off, even if its just a fawn. Lol

Bucks look a lot bigger when your staring at them in bow range on the ground no doubt.. it is a huge rush

nate17 said:
Bucks look a lot bigger when your staring at them in bow range on the ground no doubt.. it is a huge rush
only time I had ground growth instead of shrinkage was thy one horn buck. I was in a tree but he was only 7 yards from the tree when I shot. Maybe it was because I didn't get a good look at him till the moment I shot, but I thought he would only be 2 or 3 yrs old when I shot him. Much bigger in the neck and body when I got my hands on him. But, that dang 8 pt that walked up to me when I didn't have the bow. I have re watched the video over and over, he wasn't huge, but sure would have been nice to stick an arrow in. Lol

man i really thought that big 6 point you picked up was going to score higher. i was like ive done opened my mouth and the boy stepped up to the plate haha.

nate17 said:
man i really thought that big 6 point you picked up was going to score higher. i was like ive done opened my mouth and the boy stepped up to the plate haha.
yeah I'm running 2nd place now, your shed just has ridiculous mass that mine doesn't, although it would be a very pretty 12-pt typical scoring in the mid 150s.

I've killed as many mature bucks off the ground as I have in a tree. It's all about your setup, patterning, and patience. I agree with Nate I've told you myself and MB has to STAY OUT OF THAT THICKET TILL THE CAMERAS OR SIGN TELLS YOU TO HUNT IT!!!!
You obviously have been very successful this year but your lack of sent control, random roaming and shooting lots of deer there WILL catch up with you and ruin the spot even though its always going to hold some just cause its location and surroundings...

that old 6 i picked up the other day still went 61 with part of the g3 chewed off of it...

I believe i have a trail cam pic of that deer too, but its just slightly too fuzzy to tell details. trail cam pic and shed was picked up about 400 yds apart tho in same travel corridor.

Heres the deer

SUNP0009-1.jpg

Heres the shed

2013-03-05_22-15-14_66_zps1262d1e4.jpg

Latest posts

Back