• Help Support TNDeer:

Didn't go too well at Reelfoot

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
The overall experience was good.
Very pretty place, very little wind and we fished in the shade most of the time we were there. :D

I don't know if we were doing it wrong or they just weren't biting.
I did see one other boat fishing close to us and we only saw them catch one fish while we were there so that made me feel a little better.

We were using crickets fishing around the cypress trees and along the bank.
We ended up with one yellow bass, two bream and 5 catfish. :D

Might have been better earlier or later in the day, dunno.
We got there about 10:30 and only stayed about 3 hours as Man had to go to work.

Only hit one stump while we were fishing and it just slid us off to one side when it hit the V of the boat.
Easing out with the outboard on the way back to the ramp and we had two BIG bighead jump out of the water right by the boat and scared the CRAP out of us. :D
Then I hit two stumps that kicked the motor up and almost jerked it out of my hand.
Didn't care for that much at all.

Anyway, maybe it will be better next time.

David Haggard, who is head park ranger there, says the fishing is never good when summer comes. Attributes it to the fact that the lake is shallow.

Jon54":18xw0vrl said:
David Haggard, who is head park ranger there, says the fishing is never good when summer comes. Attributes it to the fact that the lake is shallow.

Got to be careful talking to Dave lol, just kidding, I know him well, probably ain't a hand full of people around there that know the lake better.

Reelfoot is much like any other lake in that those with the most experience on it, tend to have the best results. Take some Lake County boy over to Chattanooga and he might have a hard time catching bass in some of Simms haunts, but I about guarantee you he can wear them out on Reelfoot most any day. Part of what makes Reelfoot particularly hard to those who don't fish it regularly is that everywhere on the lake looks like a great spot, but most days isn't.

Some of my very best bass fishing days on Reelfoot have been between mid-July and late August. I do agree that summer fishing on Reelfoot (for anything other than catfish) is typically tougher, but on many hot summer days, you can have your favorite summer places all to yourself. And contrary to the belief of many, you can catch huge bass regularly in very shallow water during the middle of a hot August day, at least you can on Reelfoot.

Very true LBLman.

I have fished Garrett for going on 5 years and while I ain't bragging, I can go there and just about every time I could outfish quite a few people for bream and/or shellcracker.

I think Reelfoot, or any chunk of Reelfoot the same size as Garrett, wouldn't take that much longer to learn, but there are an awful lot of "chunks" that size there. :D

You are also right, EVERYWHERE looks like a GREAT spot to fish!!!! :D

I will be going back when the weather gets better for bream, but I won't be running my outboard much. :D

They are really catching the catfish on Reelfoot right now. My son works at one of the resorts there and he said guys are bringing catfish in like crazy. The lake is low and dangerous. You will even hit stumps in the ditches now.

Latest posts

Back