• Help Support TNDeer:

Do deer eat pignut hickory nuts

jethro69

2af4bca661994f41df1b3398ff26e0c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never seen them but I have had guys tell me they have seen deer eat them. I would not think they would in a year like this with as many acorns as they are.

ImThere saw em chowing down on some 3 years ago during bow season. Haven't seen it yet myself but I can see how they would like them

I killed a buck back in 1988 who's stomach was packed full of them. I don't see how anything could digest that but that's what that buck had done. Not sure how preferred they are overall on a deer's list when all available food sources are considered but I'd think there are many things they would rather eat. This buck was killed in a mainly wooded area.

I was on stand a few years ago and could hear deer crunching on something before daylight. It didn't sound like deer popping acorns, and once daylight came, I could see several deer bunched up under a couple hickory trees. There were some big scrapes there too, so I hung a cam. I got several videos of deer working hard to crack those hickory nuts. If I had not seen it myself and known exactly what they were eating, I'm not sure I'd believe it.

To clarify what I said above about the buck who;s stomach was packed full of hickory nuts, he had swallowed every one of them whole. I've always wondered if that's the reason he came towards me so boldly, HOPING I would shoot him and get him out of his misery! :shock: :tu:

I have a friend whom I respect very much and he witnessed it some years back..................I have cut the stomachs of over 150 deer in my life and I can tell you I have never witnessed the "proof".............still I do not doubt it from all of the reports.

TRHC":2t1i5p28 said:
I was on stand a few years ago and could hear deer crunching on something before daylight. It didn't sound like deer popping acorns, and once daylight came, I could see several deer bunched up under a couple hickory trees. There were some big scrapes there too, so I hung a cam. I got several videos of deer working hard to crack those hickory nuts. If I had not seen it myself and known exactly what they were eating, I'm not sure I'd believe it.

AMAZING!!

catman529":3j03oqnu said:
ImThere saw em chowing down on some 3 years ago during bow season. Haven't seen it yet myself but I can see how they would like them

Yep I did. I didn't know they ate them and asked everyone. Most replied no way that's what they were munching on.

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

Headhunter":1gas7klr said:
The deer I saw eating them were for sure chewing them up. Way more noise than when you hear them eating acorns
X2

Sent from my
Sit drag, Ernie's outdoors linesman belt,
At 20' up

YES! And from what Ive seen, they absolutely LOVE them! The place I hunt in KY, Ive seen them bypass corn, acorns and soybeans to go to a certain type of hickory in the head of a hollow.

ABSOLUTELY YES!!! But I have ONLY seen them eat the Pignut Hickory. It resembles a pecan.

We search these out in late season hunts along with Red Oaks.

Deer often swallow these and other food WHOLE and go to their bed, then regurgitate these to chew in relative safety.

Deer have 4 chambered stomachs. So they can "store up" food to regurgitate later and chew.

Yes the pig nuts. They're much softer. I see this usually after a few hard frosts to or during wet times. I think it makes them taste better or soften them. Zero food shortage here ever.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back