• Help Support TNDeer:

Douglas Lake Dandridge area. Need some help,

Kirk

I will be fishing a tournament on Douglass Lake in late April. Never have seen it let alone fished it. LOL

I don't want coordinates or even general areas, I am just looking for some trends and lures to use. Colors etc that are good in late April on Douglass. Any help will be appreciated.

If you come up stop by Bucks 'n Bass in Dandridge Jason and Bucky are good people and fish regularly. Water levels and color can vary greatly from year to year. Lots of rocky points and underwater humps are available. One of the hottest lures right now is the Ledgehead. It's made and sold locally.

The water is low on Douglas. You can run up on humps and destroy your boat. I've had pretty good mornings in Flat Creek. In the afternoons, McGuire Creek near the main lake has been productive deep. Bucks 'n Bass is a great place to stop and shop. Bucky is a good friend and will be a great resource as well.

The water is low but is rising (about a foot/day currently). Douglas can easily rise 10 feet or more overnight depending on rain in Western NC.

I was up at Pigeon Forge today and made a detour over to Douglas just to find the launch ramp. The lake reminded me of Lake Mead in Nevada. Nothing but bare banks and rocks. The water appeared to be about 25 foot below summer level. This is going to be an interesting tournament.

Kirk":33ajbowi said:
I was up at Pigeon Forge today and made a detour over to Douglas just to find the launch ramp. The lake reminded me of Lake Mead in Nevada. Nothing but bare banks and rocks. The water appeared to be about 25 foot below summer level. This is going to be an interesting tournament.

Which ramp?

The lake will be near full pool by the first of May so it will have a lot more water in it by then. You will be able to catch a lot of bass with spinnerbaits and topwaters by then if you like fishing fast and covering a lot of water. Wit the exception of about a 2 week spawning period though most of the bigger fish in Douglas live deep year round.....20-35 feet. Lot of tournaments are won in that depth range in May when you would think the fish would be on the bank spawning. Deep cranks, football jigs, and heavy weighted 5-7" swimbaits get the nod at those depths.

I forgot to update this post after the Tournament. We caught our fish shallow, really shallow with jigs. Our big fish came from area that 99% of the time would have had zero water in it. The flood level conditions changed our strategy. We finished 4th and qualified for the State Tournament and that was good enough for me.

Back