• Help Support TNDeer:

Drought

My #1 spot up here in Wisconsin, is now being fought over as it was 28 yards from a natural ground fed spring and is the only standing water not next to a barn, right now in about 1000 acres of farmland and thick woods.

The crops up here are lagging but not down for the count yet. Corn is still knee high but not as full looking as normal. The beans and alfalfa are looking rough though.

If it doesn't change soon, that spot will see every deer in the area. I of course will be in TN this deer season, but I sure hope someone gets that 10 pointer I had on camera last year, but never saw in the stand.

It was a great early season spot. Last season opening morning I had 33 deer walk under me, just no shooters for opening morning and another 28 deer that evening. All of September and early October I averaged 14 deer a set, then soemone flipped the switch and it went dry. By the end of the season all I was seeing was nubby bucks and I just have a had time sticking them.

Andy S. said:
Redfred16 said:
.......that spot will see every deer in the area.
This would be a great place for a trail camera.

I also would not bet on that. Funny thing about deer and waterholes. Nomatter how dry it gets, they don't always come to them when you can see.

bowriter said:
Andy S. said:
Redfred16 said:
.......that spot will see every deer in the area.
This would be a great place for a trail camera.

I also would not bet on that. Funny thing about deer and waterholes. Nomatter how dry it gets, they don't always come to them when you can see.

My camera takes great pictures at night.

Got 3.1 at my labs a day ago. All reports say too little too late. Talked to a farmer today in Indiana and reports he is getting are 40plus percent of Midwest corn is already burned. Que the insurance checks. Hope it fares better for you UT.

UTGrad said:
Just about every hunting magazine I've read emphasizes hunting water holes in the heat. I've had zero luck with this method. Hope it works for others.
All deer hunting mags have said that since the beginning of time :).BTW ,its more than 2 months till deer season,weather can be much different ,or the same by then.Wouldnt worry about it now.

Latest posts

Back