• Help Support TNDeer:

Duck River Help

HottyToddy

My many years as a Floridian talking down on freshwater fishing is getting payback. I can't figure fish out in TN if my life depended on it.
Looking for some wisdom:

I've fished a section of the duck River around I-65 a few times now. There are many large (15-24") fish that hang out in the calm parts of the river. They're brown/bronze with black tails. They root around, and often give me flashbacks of tailing redfish. I can't get them to eat ANYTHING.

I think they're carp? Which would explain not eating my bass lures. Would that make sense based on my description?

If the consensus is yes, I know you can fly fish carp. Any of you fly fisherman have preferred flies/techniques for carp?

I'd love to catch one of these fish as they're pretty decent size.

Thanks!

My many years as a Floridian talking down on freshwater fishing is getting payback. I can't figure fish out in TN if my life depended on it.
Looking for some wisdom:

I've fished a section of the duck River around I-65 a few times now. There are many large (15-24") fish that hang out in the calm parts of the river. They're brown/bronze with black tails. They root around, and often give me flashbacks of tailing redfish. I can't get them to eat ANYTHING.

I think they're carp? Which would explain not eating my bass lures. Would that make sense based on my description?

If the consensus is yes, I know you can fly fish carp. Any of you fly fisherman have preferred flies/techniques for carp?

I'd love to catch one of these fish as they're pretty decent size.

Thanks!
I feel your pain. Grew up fishing in south Florida. Caught everything from Wahoo to Warmouth, lots of em. I cannot figure out these fish here in Tennessee for nothing. Had a few good days fishing Woods reservoir and many that sucked as far as catching fish. Tims Ford even worse.Wish I could help but I got nothing.Good luck!

Used to use oatmeal, worms, fishing in Buffalo, duck rivers and different creeks. Would catch just about anything. Several ways to fix the oatmeal in balls
Here is one way for oatmeal
A classic catfish and carp oatmeal bait is instant oatmeal, vanilla extract and canned corn. This is great bait for channel catfish and carp. You then pack handfuls of this clay-like dough around your weight or hook and then cast the packed ball of bait out

If you want to catch smallmouth in the Duck, get you some Shadraps and silver Rapala's (2.5 or 3"). Float in a jon boat between now and when the leaves start hitting the water. Throw toward the brush/logs on the shallow side of the river as the smallmouth will come out of the depths as the water cools. Do this and holler back!

Latest posts

Back