Dunstan vs Hybrid Chestnut

TNlandowner

Could anyone provide a comparison of the Dunstan versus the TN Div. of Forestry's "Hybrid" Chestnut trees?

The Hybrid trees cost $.75 each (100 seedlings) compared to $25 for the potted Dunstan variety.

I've heard both of these varieties are resistant to Blight disease.

I'm planning a new planting for early 2013 and need to make a choice pretty soon.

Thanks for any input.

TS_13

Good question. Maybe timber value? The potted dunstan trees are already a decent size, so maybe grab a few of those and some from TN forest.

Hunt 365

The price is right on them...We planted a bunch of the Auburn University ones last year. The drought this past summer killed about 1/3 of them, but the ones that made it look strong. I'm tempted to try these, and in 20 years my kids will have a great hunting habitat. Or if it's a bust, oh well. Word is chestnuts are preferred over any other mast crop in the woods. The Dunstan ones had less of a mast crop, better on the timber production. The hybrid ones seem to be a bit bushier, resembling a bradford pear. I'm after the ones with the most production

trealtree

here is the history on the Dunstan:

In the early 1950s, James Carpentar of Salem, Ohio, discovered a large living American chestnut in a grove of dead and dying trees. A member of the Northern Nut Growers Association, Carpentar was very impressed with the tree as it showed no evidence of blight infection. Over the next several years, he inoculated the tree with active blight spores and mycelia, but failed to induce any infection in the tree.

Carpentar sent budwood to Dr. Robert T. Dunstan, a fellow member of NNGA and well-known plant breeder in Greensboro, N.C. Dunstan grafted the scions onto chestnut rootstock and the trees grew well. He cross-pollinated the American grafts with a mixture of 3 superior USDA released Chinese chestnut selections: "Kuling," "Meiling," and "Nanking."

In 1962, seedling trees from the first cross began to bear. Selecting the individuals with the most hybrid characteristics, Dr. Dunstan crossed them back to the American and Chinese parent trees. The resulting second generation was moved to Alachua in north central Florida, on our nursery property, where the trees have been growing and bearing every year for almost 50 years!

In 1984 we planted a second grove of 500 trees using both grafts and seedling Dunstans, and many are now over 50' tall and 12-16" in diameter. These Dunstan Hybrid Chestnuts show a combination of American and Chinese traits. They are healthy, vigorous, and bear heavily every year. We have chosen several cultivars that have the very best combination of nut and tree characteristics. The Dunstan Chestnuts are the first chestnuts to ever receive U.S. Plant Patents.

The blight-resistant Dunstan Chestnuts make possible the re-establishment of chestnut trees and chestnut orchards in America.

RESISTANT TO CHESTNUT BLIGHT
There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. This includes research and breeding programs as well as the many other locations where the Dunstan Chestnuts have been grown throughout the nation.

Dunstan Chestnuts have been tested for resistance by inoculation with blight. No significant canker formation was observed for 4 years. Limited growth of the blight cankers was seen on only a few trees and, in most cases, the inoculation wound healed completely.

Reports from growers at over 2,000 locations around the U.S., from New England to Michigan, south to Florida and Texas and the Pacific Coast have shown that the Dunstan Chestnuts have excellent survival, growth and nut production in a variety of climates, from Zones 4-9.

Many chestnuts sold in the U.S. are not blight resistant, such as seedling American chestnuts, or European x Japanese hybrids. Blight resistance is extremely important, even in areas that currently do not have blight. Accidental outbreak can destroy susceptible trees. In blighted areas (most of the U.S.), only blight-resistant trees will produce.

From one of their customers:

"We planted 62 Dunstan Chestnuts in 2000, along with 800 Collosal, Marigoule and Maraval chestnuts at our farm in northern Connecticut. We are surrounded by American chestnuts in the nearby forests, both dead trees and suckers resprouting from the roots, so there is a lot of blight. All 800 of the other chestnuts have died, but we have not lost a single Dunstan Chestnut. This year (2010) we harvested 400 lbs of nuts from the 62 Dunstan trees. They produce beautiful, mostly large nuts."

Bruce Luginbuhl, Little Pops Popcorn, Ellington, CT

BlountArrow

So where can I get some of these Dunstan's? I'm in East TN. I'd prefer to buy some already potted that have a few years of growth on them if possible.

BSK

One of the major advantages of the Dunstan Chestnut is they are genetically 15/16ths American Chestnut, and will display some of the important characteristics of the American Chestnut, such as tall growth. This will allow "forests" of chestnuts to be regrown. In essence, they will grow tall enough to compete with other hardwoods for sunlight. The chinese chestnut and most of the other hybrids are lowering growing trees and they must be protected from sunlight competition of other tall-growing trees.

Scioto

trealtree said:
here is the history on the Dunstan:

In the early 1950s, James Carpentar of Salem, Ohio, discovered a large living American chestnut in a grove of dead and dying trees. A member of the Northern Nut Growers Association, Carpentar was very impressed with the tree as it showed no evidence of blight infection. Over the next several years, he inoculated the tree with active blight spores and mycelia, but failed to induce any infection in the tree.

Carpentar sent budwood to Dr. Robert T. Dunstan, a fellow member of NNGA and well-known plant breeder in Greensboro, N.C. Dunstan grafted the scions onto chestnut rootstock and the trees grew well. He cross-pollinated the American grafts with a mixture of 3 superior USDA released Chinese chestnut selections: "Kuling," "Meiling," and "Nanking."

In 1962, seedling trees from the first cross began to bear. Selecting the individuals with the most hybrid characteristics, Dr. Dunstan crossed them back to the American and Chinese parent trees. The resulting second generation was moved to Alachua in north central Florida, on our nursery property, where the trees have been growing and bearing every year for almost 50 years!

In 1984 we planted a second grove of 500 trees using both grafts and seedling Dunstans, and many are now over 50' tall and 12-16" in diameter. These Dunstan Hybrid Chestnuts show a combination of American and Chinese traits. They are healthy, vigorous, and bear heavily every year. We have chosen several cultivars that have the very best combination of nut and tree characteristics. The Dunstan Chestnuts are the first chestnuts to ever receive U.S. Plant Patents.

The blight-resistant Dunstan Chestnuts make possible the re-establishment of chestnut trees and chestnut orchards in America.

RESISTANT TO CHESTNUT BLIGHT
There has not been a single reported instance of Dunstan Chestnuts dying of blight infection in over 30 years. This includes research and breeding programs as well as the many other locations where the Dunstan Chestnuts have been grown throughout the nation.

Dunstan Chestnuts have been tested for resistance by inoculation with blight. No significant canker formation was observed for 4 years. Limited growth of the blight cankers was seen on only a few trees and, in most cases, the inoculation wound healed completely.

Reports from growers at over 2,000 locations around the U.S., from New England to Michigan, south to Florida and Texas and the Pacific Coast have shown that the Dunstan Chestnuts have excellent survival, growth and nut production in a variety of climates, from Zones 4-9.

Many chestnuts sold in the U.S. are not blight resistant, such as seedling American chestnuts, or European x Japanese hybrids. Blight resistance is extremely important, even in areas that currently do not have blight. Accidental outbreak can destroy susceptible trees. In blighted areas (most of the U.S.), only blight-resistant trees will produce.

From one of their customers:

"We planted 62 Dunstan Chestnuts in 2000, along with 800 Collosal, Marigoule and Maraval chestnuts at our farm in northern Connecticut. We are surrounded by American chestnuts in the nearby forests, both dead trees and suckers resprouting from the roots, so there is a lot of blight. All 800 of the other chestnuts have died, but we have not lost a single Dunstan Chestnut. This year (2010) we harvested 400 lbs of nuts from the 62 Dunstan trees. They produce beautiful, mostly large nuts."

Bruce Luginbuhl, Little Pops Popcorn, Ellington, CT

Not that anyone should care, but I was born and raised in Salem Ohio.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BSK said:
One of the major advantages of the Dunstan Chestnut is they are genetically 15/16ths American Chestnut

The Dustin is not 15/16ths American Chestnut. The Dustan still has a lot of Chinese traits and the 15/16ths do not. Google the American Chestnut foundation if you want more information on the 15/16ths American Cheatnut.

BlountArrow

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
The Dustin is not 15/16ths American Chestnut. The Dustan still has a lot of Chinese traits and the 15/16ths do not. Google the American Chestnut foundation if you want more information on the 15/16ths American Cheatnut.

How do you know so much? You can't even spell it! :D

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BlountArrow said:
8 POINTS OR BETTER said:

How do you know so much? You can't even spell it! :D

I can spell it, but my phone auto corrected it, guess I didn't catch it.

If you can read you should be able to figure out the difference between the two.

BlountArrow

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:

If you can read you should be able to figure out the difference between the two.

I was just kiddin' with you buttercup don't get upset, but your phone auto-corrected it two different ways and that's interesting.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BlountArrow said:
8 POINTS OR BETTER said:

I was just kiddin' with you buttercup don't get upset, but your phone auto-corrected it two different ways and that's interesting.

Thanks for pointing that out, are you the resident spelling police

BSK

8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
BSK said:
One of the major advantages of the Dunstan Chestnut is they are genetically 15/16ths American Chestnut

Interesting. Quality Whitetails had a big article on chestnut tree restoration, and mentioned the Dunstan as one of the varieties of chestnut that is genetically 15/16 American Chestnut.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BSK said:
8 POINTS OR BETTER said:
BSK said:

Interesting. Quality Whitetails had a big article on chestnut tree restoration, and mentioned the Dunstan as one of the varieties of chestnut that is genetically 15/16 American Chestnut.

Do you remember what month it was

BlountArrow

These trees at Chestnut Tree Hill Farm seem reasonably priced. I'm going to pick up a few as long as they don't run out before the winter is over. I love trying to improve the habitat on our small farm. I'm getting ready to put some extensive efforts in place to start creating more hedge rows and thickets. I'm getting ready to break up three large pastures with hedge rows and various other "nut" trees!!! My grandfather would roll over in his grave if he knew about it....with me, destroying all that good hay!!!

Latest posts