Dunstan vs Hybrid Chestnut

BlountArrow

Thanks for the offer that's very kind of you. For now, I think I may try to get some already potted to get a jump on things. I can be fairly impatient and need a little instant gratification every now and then.

warpheagle

Doskil said:
Are the trees Realtree sold Dunstant chestnuts?

Yes. I bought the 25 tree package last winter that included 7 Dunstans. I kept them each in 3 gallon pots until about a month ago when I planted them, all 25 of my trees from Realtree Nursery survived so far. The package also includes persimmons, Sawtooths and crabapples. It is best to pre-order and specify when you want them to ship..

Jarred525

Was wondering if someone could provide an update of their experience with the hybrid chestnut from TN Dept of Forestry? Also, how does the mast production compare to the Dunstan? I really like the lower price of the Hybrid. Am I missing something by not going with it over the Dunstan?

BlountArrow

I know nothing about production yet, but I bought (9) Dunstan's last year from a WalMart in Knoxville and they are doing great. I think they were in 3 gallon pots when I bought them and around 4 - 5ft tall. They are growing well is all I know at this point. I need to prune them now, but I need to read up on that. I don't know if you prune them the say as you would a pear or apple tree???

Hollar Hunter

My dunstans have done great even got some production this year. I bought 100 hybrid chestnuts from the state last year. IMO they haven't done well and won't be buying anymore. A lot of them had the tops die out and just didn't put on much growth. Will see how what's left does this spring but I would buy a few dunstans and just plant your own chestnuts after they start producing.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

BlountArrow said:
I know nothing about production yet, but I bought (9) Dunstan's last year from a WalMart in Knoxville and they are doing great. I think they were in 3 gallon pots when I bought them and around 4 - 5ft tall. They are growing well is all I know at this point. I need to prune them now, but I need to read up on that. I don't know if you prune them the [color:#FF0000]say[/color] as you would a pear or apple tree???

And you slurred me for my spelling. :D

TS_13

I honestly do not see the hype outside of the timber value. I have several Dunstans, But I am really looking for large production of mast which I heard Dunstans somewhat lack. 8PT what are your observations with production between the Dunstan and a chinese or and American?

Jarred525

Just to add a little more info, I called the state today. They verified that the hybrid is a 50/50 split between American and Chinese. He said they had bought some dunstans a few years back and these are actually just offspring of dunstans they have planted there. I may buy 25 just to give them a try along with buying a few dunstans.

duckriver

There is a good article in the Tennessee magazine about a group that is trying to get the new chestnuts to 15/16 american and 1/16 Chinese.

Latest posts