• Help Support TNDeer:

Early Successional success buck pic dump

That's a BUNCH of yearlings! Where do they all come from? I only see a handful each season.
Absolutely no idea. And why so many in one year?

So far, I'm not seeing anything this year like I did last year. And things are really slowing down with the drought. Deer are sticking to the wetter, swampier bottomlands and agriculture.

With few acorns, and for now no food plots, not much action on my place and I'm afraid we may have another 2022 on our hands (extreme drought, zero acorns, worst year we've had in many years).

And things are really slowing down with the drought. Deer are sticking to the wetter, swampier bottomlands and agriculture.

Perhaps it's time to try a few of these around the property. I know the argument that deer don't need it, they get it from their food, yada yada yada. And I believe that argument. But dry summers happen and there's no question deer appreciate having a drink. They hit mine all times of day & night. I truly believe it's made the difference between holding deer through summer and losing them all to the river bottom. Plus they're not going to get EHD from the cracked mud in the dry creek bank. If these get low it only exposes the plastic walls. No EHD midges. The bottom pic is the lowest it's been at 7"-8" low. I filled it back up for the first time this summer on the 11th and two hours later got the pic of those does & fawns.

1724155209283.webp
1724155246921.webp
1724155309811.webp

Ski,

I'm lucky that I have three spring-fed stair-step rock creeks crossing my place that never go dry even during the worst droughts. And better yet, no muddy banks to hold EHD midges.

Attachments

• Valley1.webp
    Valley1.webp
    277.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back