• Help Support TNDeer:

East Tenn Trout Suggestions

alaska_av8r

I have a weeks vacation to use next week and was thinking about a photography/trout fishing trip. I was thinking about starting out spending some time in Cade's Cove with the camera first then explore a bit. So I'm looking for trout fishing suggestions. Are there and can you fish within CC? I'm mostly a fly fisherman and I'm looking as much for "the experience " as much as I am for catching fish. Although it doesn't upset me to put one in the pan for dinner. Living in Memphis I spend most of my time chasing Arkansas trout so I am clueless on East Tennessee.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Tim

Decades ago I was a fly guide in the Park.

Some of the biggest wild trout are in Abram's creek right there in Cade's cove. And families like to hike the trail also..to The big Abram's falls.

IF YOU FISH ABRAMS CREEK...Know about the "horse shoe" !!!

The creek flows right by the trail from the trail head all the way up stream.

But...........there is a really tight bend that dang near makes a full complete circle. Where the creek makes a sharp turn away from the trail, goes out and makes a big near complete circle and then makes a tight bend back to the trail...the distance between where the creek goes away from the trail and comes back to the trail is only like a 70 or 100 yard gap.

A TON of fishermen has decided "I'm going to step out of the creek and get back on the trail....then freak out the cause the trail is "no where to be found. They are in the interior of the horse shoe.....

I was in Smokey mtn search and rescue for a decade. We found lots of fishermen hunkered down lost in the interior of the horse shoe...thinking they were forever hopelessly lost in a trillion acre wilderness.

If you are fishing Abrams....and step out of the creek and the trail happens to not be there there..simple....

wade down stream 150ish yards. Step out of the left bank and walk not more than 40 yards.

Still no trail?

You're still in the horse show.

Wade again 150 yards down stream..and (when facing down stream)...step out of the left bank and go no more than 40 yards looking for the trail. Just keep cool. Still no trail?

Keep wading down stream and checking a little ways off the left bank for the trail. Might take 5 times, but you will eventually step out of the left bank and onto the trial in short order.

Here's a map showing the "horse shoe" that every search and rescue man loves to hate.... you'll see it due south of the word "Falls" in black print.

Its not a big deal at all. It just freaks people out cause they know the trail is right by the creek, then if they happen to decide to step out and go to the trail in the horse shoe section..the trail is not "just right over there" and understandably that is can a mind bender. "Now where in the heck could the trail have gone?????"

Screen Shot 2019-04-17 at 8.56.55 PM by Tres Monceret, on Flickr

Most of the elk are located in the Cataloochee area in the southeastern section of the park. The easiest way to reach Cataloochee is from Interstate highway I-40. Exit I-40 at North Carolina exit #20. After 0.2 mile, turn right onto Cove Creek Road and follow signs 11 miles into Cataloochee valley.

Wanted to stop back in and give an update. We had a blast at Cade's Cove and thanks for all of the suggestions from everyone. In the end the trout fishing was fun but unsuccessful and that was our fault. We got caught up in photography so much that we only fished one day and not even a whole day at that. The photography on the other hand was very successful. Lots of sows with cubs, turkeys and deer of course, even made a run over the mountains to spend an evening with the elk. I'd share some photos but not sure how to post them on here, I'll see if I can figure it out.

An attempt to post images

Attachments

• 4A31C3CB-10C2-44F7-B73E-C82605F5C230.jpeg
    4A31C3CB-10C2-44F7-B73E-C82605F5C230.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,599
Okay that worked so here goes

Attachments

• 72458D5F-193F-4882-A59D-82CBE7B1822E.jpeg
    72458D5F-193F-4882-A59D-82CBE7B1822E.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 1,599
  • C184E84C-3271-4632-8236-A710ABE3377E.jpeg
    C184E84C-3271-4632-8236-A710ABE3377E.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,601
  • DA66DD88-9BCD-4BEB-A540-14EC45888B22.jpeg
    DA66DD88-9BCD-4BEB-A540-14EC45888B22.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,597
Very nice photography! Really like the cove pic. Momma appears alert, I'm always shocked how close people will get to a sow with cubs up there.If I remember correctly you were up when we had several heavy rains, water was rising and water temps were falling. Seems like we've had rains every weekend and not the best fishing conditions, last weekend was nice though. Glad you had a great trip, come on back in the fall.....but be prepared for the CROWDS. :shock:

Plenty of natives up in the park. Some nice browns can be caught where there is less foot traffic. Also consider fishing the river in Townsend. Check the stocking schedule. I believe they stock again next week.

Back