EastTNHunter’s CFB Midseason Assessment

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Full disclosure if you don't already know: I'm a UGA fan, so I have watched them more closely than the others and have more thoughts (frustrations) with them. So with that out of the way, my thoughts on the CFB halfway point:

UGA: started out looking great against some good competition. Offensively they could do no wrong, and most incompletions by Bennett were getting rid of the ball from pressure, not poor throws. Receivers, TEs, and RBs just didn't drop passes.

But something has happened over the past few weeks and the offense isn't jelling. OL isn't playing well, not opening holes for the running game and letting a lot of pressure get to Bennett.

This year's D is not last year's D. They are good but not great, and play more of a bend-but-not-break game. Pretty good at forcing turnovers and effecting the QB without sacks, but not as disruptive and dominating as last season. I see them progressing though, despite some key injury absences right now.

Bama: Deservedly #1, but not flawless. Started slow but getting better. Receivers not as good as years past, but developing. Offense is not as effective when Bryce isn't in the game. OL struggles, but running game is still really good.

D is really good despite not having the superstar dominance that many have experienced. I am beginning to think that Dallas Turner is a better overall player than Will Anderson, but that is not a slight.

UT: Excellent offense, and one that should really concern any defensive coordinator in the country. Running game is better than advertised, but it really feeds off of the passing game. OL has definitely gotten better over last year. WRs have the potential to be scary despite losing Tillman.

D is better than last year, but the secondary is still shaky. The style of offense leads to defensive vulnerability, but they have responded well.

Overall, Huepel is building a unique, quality ball team that is reinforcing the hopeful sentiments of a fan base that has been waiting impatiently for decades to be loud again. Most of the UT fans that I know are starting to carry some swagger again (some far more than others; dare I say that many are crowing), but at the same time are a little apprehensive of being disappointed again by hope. I still feel that UT is ahead of schedule on their rebuild, and truly deserving of their top 10 ranking despite some gaps.

tOSU: Same as ever. Really good offense that is not scared to run up the score in the lesser teams that it faces, but looks more mortal against the better teams on its schedule. Fanbase is cocky as ever, and gives Bama fans a run for their money, despite not winning anything of note in quite some time.

I really feel that the top 25 is again littered with teams that are not very deserving, but who else are they going to put there. There seems to be a growing gap between the elite teams and the rest of the pack, but I liked the older feeling of more parity from the past despite my team being towards the top

chris1976

The Updykes leapfrogged UGA in the polls after UGA's struggle win at Mizzou. Does UGA leapfrog the Updykes after their struggle win AT HOME against A&M? It doesn't really matter who is 1 and who is 2. Just pointing out UGA should be back at 1.
The Buckeyes will leapfrog them both. They are the #1 team in the country no matter strength of schedule.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I think that tOSU is actually really good, just hard to tell how good until the end of the season after they've played the heart of their schedule (which includes a really strong Michigan team)… but they definitely are media darlings.

I would be fine with any combination of the current top 3-4 in any order. After that the next 6 or so are all ready to pounce and rightfully deserving if the others mess up. UGA is primed for an upset if they don't get their crap together, but anyone can lose on any given Saturday, especially with a game being played by mostly 18-21yr old kids (Stets not withstanding)

Spurhunter

anyone can lose on any given Saturday
There is definitely more parity in the sec this year, which I love. I love a good upset and usually pull for the underdog. South Carolina beat Kentucky after Kentucky should've beaten 6-0 Ole Miss, Auburn beat Mizzou then Mizzou gave UGA all they wanted, A&M gave alabama all they wanted, etc.

THEdonkey0515

I agree with all that.

People keep saying UT haven't played anyone well go check out the tOSU & Michigan schedules they are both top 4 teams.

UT is overall a better team then a year ago offensive is legit. The defense does have a better front 7 than last year secondary is still bad.

They haven't been a dominant team that looks unbeatable so far this year. Bama and Georgia both have shown they will allow teams to hang with them to the end

Latest posts