• Help Support TNDeer:

Elk rifle

I wouldn't trade my 300wm for a 3006, I have had both and shot deer with them, 300wm has some more thump, speed kills no matter what the 45/70 shooters say lol
Hunted Montana Wyoming and Colorado used 7mm mag 270 30-06 300Win mag
257weatherby mag 264win mag, the300 win mag was my favorite it performed best and shot animals from 40 yards to 600.
That's my preference, wish I could go back but those days are over for me. My advice go as muck as you can and buy good optics don't worry about the gun or caliber just have fun and be prepared for wind with wind proof clothing!

Been watching this thread for a while. I am doing 3rd rifle in CO this year - absolutely a bucket list trip - and most likely will be the only one I will ever have an opportunity at. So with that being said...go big.......

IMG_2720 (002).PNG

IMG_2718 (002).PNG

.338 EDGE

But if'n i was to buy one off the shelf - Bergara B14 HMR in 300PRC would be my choice & Vortex Glass

Been watching this thread for a while. I am doing 3rd rifle in CO this year - absolutely a bucket list trip - and most likely will be the only one I will ever have an opportunity at. So with that being said...go big.......

View attachment 230005
View attachment 230007
.338 EDGE

But if'n i was to buy one off the shelf - Bergara B14 HMR in 300PRC would be my choice & Vortex Glass
Good gravey whats that setup weigh?

I've got a hankering to buy a new rifle. Just can't settle on one. I'd like it to be for elk and mule deer if and when I get those hunts started. It's a good excuse to buy one. 😆 I want it to be in 300 win mag. I'd like to get one of the new Remington 700 cdl. But I can't decide if they are worth a flip or not. I keep seeing Bergara B-14 pop up in my search. I have no experience with bergara. I want one with a wood stock. Personal preference. The bergara has a 24 inch barrel. Would I be hurting myself with a 24 inch barreled 300 win mag?

I've carried my old Savage 110 with a B&C stock in 30-06 and my Remington 700 Classic in 8x57 on my elk hunts. My Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 with peep sights in the Aspens as well.

If it was me, I'd pick the good old '06 or a 7 mag. The recoil will be much nicer. An uncle of mine and a cousin have killed quite a few elk with the '06 and never wished for more.

I'm a diehard walnut and blue rifle guy, but for a dedicated elk and mule deer rifle, I'd go with a composite stock of some type and the best glass you can get.
I have killed my share of elk, deer and bear with my Remington 700 bdl in 30-06. I shot them at various yards, out to 400 yards. I am here to say that the 30-06 is plenty of gun for elk.

I've got a hankering to buy a new rifle. Just can't settle on one. I'd like it to be for elk and mule deer if and when I get those hunts started. It's a good excuse to buy one. 😆 I want it to be in 300 win mag. I'd like to get one of the new Remington 700 cdl. But I can't decide if they are worth a flip or not. I keep seeing Bergara B-14 pop up in my search. I have no experience with bergara. I want one with a wood stock. Personal preference. The bergara has a 24 inch barrel. Would I be hurting myself with a 24 inch barreled 300 win mag?
If you want the best buy a Tikka it's the most accurate rifle next to my $5K GA Precision. I have a Tikka T3 lite 300mag and it's 1/2moa easily and @ 1000yds No problems and I don't think it kick all that bad either and I'm @190lbs its a sweet rifle. Not for sure about a wood stock but why would you buy wood it's not an all weather stock

Been out there done that for pretty much everything out there and honestly for me the most important thing for me is accuracy... The last Elk I shot was 428 yards... most reasonable cartridges will kill an elk when hit through the lungs no problem but the big difference is the range you shoot at most of the time compared to shots around here

Back