• Help Support TNDeer:

Expensive bass fishing rods are not for me

catman529

Some of you may remember when my Falcon rod broke on a hook set, I took it back to Academy, and they exchanged it for a new one.

Well today, my Falcon took the full effect of a deep cycle battery sliding from one side of my truck bed to the other....

Not gonna buy any more fancy graphite rods. Just fancy catfish rods, and cheap stuff for the bass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can catch a bass on almost anything , no need for all the fancy stuff.

It's all I can do to keep them beat off my minnows while I'm trying to Crappie fish in the Spring. LOL

Well maybe there's one fancy thing you need for bass fishing, that's a fast boat !
Those fish have really gotten faster over the years. LOL

Probably not fancy to some, but I'd be lost without my abu Garcia veritas spinning rod. I've gotten close to a decade out of it and it's still going strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MickThompson":237ex7j8 said:
Probably not fancy to some, but I'd be lost without my abu Garcia veritas spinning rod. I've gotten close to a decade out of it and it's still going strong.

I've broken enough in truck beds that I always haul them butt forward and with nothing heavy back there with them.

I have had and still do have several all star , st croix, and so on bass rods.. also have rhino rods.. catch as many on the rhinos as the expensive ones..

MickThompson":2bf93krr said:

my Falcon is comparable to the Veritas. Nice rod, feels great, but after years of Ugly Stiks I have not learned to be gentle with fishing rods. Lol

Broke a wally marshall 7ft signature series yesterday setting the hook on a crappie,think I'm gonna replace it with a cheaper one too

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

catman529":3i291vfx said:
MickThompson":3i291vfx said:

my Falcon is comparable to the Veritas. Nice rod, feels great, but after years of Ugly Stiks I have not learned to be gentle with fishing rods. Lol

95% of the time I'm wading a creek with it and I have it loaded with braid so I'm not exactly gentle with mine either. I got tired of missing hooksets because my rod was too mushy.

MickThompson":2l3rnp33 said:
catman529":2l3rnp33 said:
MickThompson":2l3rnp33 said:

95% of the time I'm wading a creek with it and I have it loaded with braid so I'm not exactly gentle with mine either. I got tired of missing hooksets because my rod was too mushy.

The new Ugly Stiks aren't as mushy as the old ones, and still seem to be pretty tough. This guy on Youtube "Catfish and Carp" lifted a chainsaw with one of the light action rods and swung it around.

I can say I have used about all of them . It's all about what u like. I have fished gloomis rods for the past 8 years and I know first hand you can feel alot more with them than most rods on the market.

riverman1":44lyc4g0 said:
I can say I have used about all of them . It's all about what u like. I have fished gloomis rods for the past 8 years and I know first hand you can feel alot more with them than most rods on the market.

I second that. I sold my bass boat several years ago, but I still have all my rods. I have a couple kistler rods. You can definitely tell a difference in the sensitivity of rods. I remember the first day I fished all day with one of my Kistler rods, I picked up an old bass Pro tourney special rod to use, and it was like picking up a catfish pole. The weight difference is amazing after you cast with a rod for 6 hours. However its hard to beat a good ole ugly stick or cheaper rods for bream and catfish.

You should buy your rods and reels off of ebay and classified forums like they have here. I can't remember the last time I paid retail for a rod or reel. Even brand new rods and reels can be 30 to 50 percent cheaper on ebay than walking into Bass Pro and buying the same thing.

catman529":34xfg60y said:
Some of you may remember when my Falcon rod broke on a hook set, I took it back to Academy, and they exchanged it for a new one.

Well today, my Falcon took the full effect of a deep cycle battery sliding from one side of my truck bed to the other....

Not gonna buy any more fancy graphite rods. Just fancy catfish rods, and cheap stuff for the bass.

i woudnt spend over $40 on a catfish rod. but bass fishing you kinda get what you pay for

Expensive rods are for feel. I own a few Loomis GLX's and Imx's. IMO, best rods made. However, they are only for shakeyhead, jig/worm, and feel. For throw it out and reel it in baits (buzzbait, spinnerbait, spook etc), I prefer the $15 6'6" shakespeare excursion from walmart. I have a nice mix of rods and reels including bps extreme and Duckett ghost for my standards. I can easily go from a $25 rig to a $400 rig in a second depending on what I'm doing.

I know its not a comfort but Loomis has a $100 replacement guarantee. I broke an old GLX last year that retailed $375, $100 paid and they overnight a new one, my shimano cumara's are $75 replacement. not cheap but much better than retail.

reels: bps extreme or shimano citica baitcasters and blue pfleuger presidents as spinning reels.

Latest posts

Back