• Help Support TNDeer:

Biggest advantage of cell cams over sd and wifi cams….

Interesting. What makes the difference in whether the information is real time or after the fact? It's the same exact info and all time stamped. What is the benefit of real time?
Too much information to try and piece together and understand when you are trying to go through thousands of pics from multiple cameras. Cell cameras allow you to see it as it is happening over time. Really is a completely different experience.

Cell cameras allow you to see it as it is happening over time. Really is a completely different experience.
As well has allowing for some different opportunities, especially when timeliness is part of equation.

Personally, I don't see myself not having an arsenal of both traditional trail cams and cell cams.
Each type has some different "pros & cons".

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Of course, there remain areas with zero to horribly poor cell service,
making cell cams a no go for those areas.

But at the time of new purchases, keep in mind most cell cams work the same as most traditional trail cams, and you don't have to use the cell feature. Some cell cams are actually priced cheaper (at time of purchase) than their comparable non-cell traditional trail cams.

I often discontinue the cell feature on some cell cams afield, say in May, and those cams simply continue working as a traditional trail cam until I go retrieve the sd card. May go "service" one of those, say in October, then finding out what happened there between May & October, restarting the cell plan with a new sd card & new batteries in October.

Leaving out cell cams for long periods of time, such as year, can necessitate higher capacity sd cards than are useable on some brands. I'm not buying any new cell cams that won't accept at least a 64 mb sd card. If you're running video, you may need at least a 128 mb card.

Last edited:
For me personally, if I used cell cams and a big buck showed up, I would have buck fever so bad every squirrel coming up from behind me would give me a heart attack! I like not knowing what is coming. Of course the rut changes everything. Most of the mature bucks I killed were rarely on my cams. Obviously their range shifted once Coño showed up.

Big thing that was mentioned…knowing when the camera is down. Nothing sucks worse than waiting 2 months to check a camera and find out the sd card messed up or something.

I am 4.5 hrs from my family land in south bama. They allow me to get daily checks with spots which is crucial and helpful.

It's like a mini Christmas every day when the pics come through.

I don't have anything to add, I don't use cameras. Don't have anything against them and I am not for banning the use of them, but IMO, cameras take away from hunting.

So many depend on cameras and not their knowledge of how to read sign and attempt to "figure" deer out just by what a person sees with their own eyes. I hear of so many that most all their hunting depends on what they see or don't see on camera. I think I would quit hunting if I relied on cameras.

I don't have anything to add, I don't use cameras. Don't have anything against them and I am not for banning the use of them, but IMO, cameras take away from hunting.

So many depend on cameras and not their knowledge of how to read sign and attempt to "figure" deer out just by what a person sees with their own eyes. I hear of so many that most all their hunting depends on what they see or don't see on camera. I think I would quit hunting if I relied on cameras.
I don't necessarily disagree with all what you said. Can't speak for anyone else but for me. I use cameras to find specific deer I want to hunt. There's times I want to go back to the old ways. But targeting one deer Is fun and very challenging. But a camera doesn't make you a better or worse hunter imo. You still have to kill the deer you do have to figure out where the deer is and read the signs. That part of our deer hunting hasn't changed. I don't want to hunt a 110 inch deer when I have 130s and 140s running around.

With all that said do people let cameras ruin there hunting because they don't have what they think they should on cameras 100 percent we aren't those people, I also know 100 percent that even with several cameras we miss deer impossible not to. But look back several years did those same people hunt a lot? Were they successful? The people I know that let cameras make or break them have never been that good at hunting anyways. They Never really loved it.

Latest posts

Back