• Help Support TNDeer:

Family / Sportsman Boat - What would you buy?

GKG

OK ... looking for some advice ... I might start saving for a boat purchase in the spring ... something that can be use for myself and family ... maybe some friends too, but largely want something that will be a boat that allows fishing and adventures for my 12 year old son and 9 year old daughter, in the years ahead ... maybe my wife would come sometimes too ... so four people comfortably for sure. I also have some younger nephews in the extended family, that I want to get better introduced to the outdoors, so I could see a brother-in-law and myself, with a combination of the next generation ... so again, maybe just four but the potential to go up to 5/6 with two adults and the remainder kids, would be nice flexibility.

Fishing would be priority, and would want to be able to handle the basics but graduate up to more advance fishing as the they grow older. I would also want something safe and reliable, that could handle some weather if we got caught out. Middle TN would be the primary area, but could potentially see a road-trip or two .. lakes and rivers would be both in play.

Any advice? Thanks.

A tritoon with a big enough motor for skiing and set up for fishing with two chairs in the front. With that many people you are gonna need the space. Otherwise you will always think your in the movie jaws; saying " we're gonna need a bigger boat". Might I also suggest a family boat and a fishing boat. Things that are designed to do two things are generally no good at either. F w I w.

I suggest the lowe deck boat as well. My close friends have basically the exact model posted and I know there has been times where at least 8 people (adults) have been on the boat comfortably with no issues.

It has a good combination going for it. You have the size and room of a pontoon boat, skiing capabilities, and large front deck where a trolling motor can be mounted for easy fishing. Another plus is the hull design, you get much more speed than a pontoon for about the same size boat plus its all aluminum.

My 18' toon takes 2-3' waves with no problems. John boats wont take that as easy. A deck boat has some good points and may be better than a toon but a toon i have and i wouldnt trade

mike243":2t3oym1m said:
My 18' toon takes 2-3' waves with no problems. John boats wont take that as easy. A deck boat has some good points and may be better than a toon but a toon i have and i wouldnt trade

i have had waves come over the front and almost wash everything overboard.

Sounds like you need a pontoon but want a fishing boat. You can do both out of one but fishing is better out of a boat designed specifically for fishing.

Unless the front end is heavy or the gate is open it will plow rite on thru.I can tell you it will get ugly with the gate open and to much speed and too much weight up front.nothing but metal on my boat.no wood to rot or a hull that leaks

Latest posts

Back