• Help Support TNDeer:

Favorite rain gear?

Have a cousin that fishes a lot. Saw a post on Facebook he won a tournament last night on Old Hickory (think it was last night) and he had Magellan bibs on which is Academy Sports brand. I know nothing about them but assuming they work as he fishes ALL the time.

I would say asphalt shingles with a 30 yr warranty or standing seam metal. 😁😁

Here is my humble opinion… it all has weaknesses. Really good rain gear isn't breathable. Light stuff will fail quicker.

I use a Redhead Scentinel suit and had good luck with it even in a downpour last year in Colorado, but you have to manage exposure. I tuck under fir trees or my portable umbrella if possible and it helps a ton.

Honestly for fishing in summer, a light weight set is ok, since anything heavy that will keep you totally dry will roast you like a potato. It wont be 100% waterproof or it will soak through after a while.
For cooler weather, nothing beats a cheap(er) PVC rain suit like commercial fishermen wear. They will keep you Dry, BUT if it warms up, you will be soaked with sweat.
I have a Magellan jacket and bibs (goretex or their version) that works pretty well. With prolonged exposure it will soak through though.

It truly depends on your pocket, you can look at it like hunting gear. Do you want rain protection just when it's raining? Frogg Toggs will work bought a size or two above. If you are wanting to look "professional" original GuideGear is the best option. They offered insulated and un-insulated options. I, of course, am nobody.....but I have never needed anything more to cover the rain, winter spray, or waves....than Frogg Togg overalls with my GuideGear jacket. It always depends on how often you need it, a trash bag is able to get you through a downfall for a day.

Don't buy junk. Simms is probably the best out there. Pricey but if you want to stay dry you have to pay for it.

Don't buy junk. Simms is probably the best out there. Pricey but if you want to stay dry you have to pay for it.
I'm in the "buy once, cry once" phase of life. I've wore the same size pants for 15 years so I'm ok to spend what it takes to get comfortable.

I'm in construction and I'm more busy every day, so "bad weather" is probably my only opportunity to go fishing. I'm wanting to go tomorrow, but my old rain gear just sucks

Unfortunately "buy once, cry once" doesn't apply to rain gear. If you use it heavily, it will eventually wear out or something... leaving you buying and crying again in a few years.

Ive had three sets of Aftco rain gear. One had an issue and they honored the warranty. I still have their heavy set for winter time, but rarely use it because..

I broke down and bought Simms Pro Dry. It's lightweight and is the best I've ever had. I got a deal on it. I'm not sure I'd pay retail for it, because you could buy two or three sets of something cheaper for the same price.

Latest posts

Back