• Help Support TNDeer:

Fermented peppers?

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
Wanting to try fermenting peppers. I have seen recipes that call for a brine and some are just calling for salt. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here. So, which is the best method, and why?

Last edited:
I did fermented peppers (jalapeno's) a couple of years ago, they were "OK". I did a brine, mainly because just adding salt will not usually pull out enough liquid to create the brine.
With something like cabbage, you add salt to your thinly sliced cabbage and mash is up. This pulls out liquid from the cabbage and creates the brine. You don't mash the peppers as that would just create "Mush".
Anything with vinegar would be a type of pickling, in my opinion, as the vinegar would kill the bacteria that ferments the food.

I make a brine. 2.5 tablespoon of salt in 1 quart of water. Pour over top of peppers in a separate quart jar. Use a spoon to remove air pockets. Let ferment until they're how you like them. If you overfill, the jar overflows. 😁

These are going to be turned into hot sauce, but same concept.

20240913_103915.webp

Wanting to try fermenting peppers. I have seen recipes that call for a brine and some are just calling for salt. I know there is a wealth of knowledge here. So, which is the best method, and why?

Sorry, I've never looked into it. I see a lot of home fermenters doing fermented hot sauces on the HOTSAUCE reddit group, but I've never looked into it.

Back