• Help Support TNDeer:

Getting your proceesed meat home 20 hours away

Turkeychaser

This is my first experience if I get an elk. Outfitter said there is a processer n town that will flash freeze. I'm taking three big coolers. I'll have a two-day trip to get home. Any experiences with dry ice? I'm not sure if it's readily available there.

If it's frozen and in coolers, I wouldn't worry about it. Get the coolers cool before you fill them full of frozen meat, lay some towels over them and it will stay fine.

Good luck and I hope you fill the coolers with elk meat!

the elk I killed I just put the skinned quarters, backstraps, and tenderloins in a 120qt cooler with 6 bags of ice. added more ice throughout the week and on the drive home.

then I processed the meat at home 8-9 days after the kill. It took me about 6 hours to fully process each elk... fairly time consuming.

I've done it both ways. I preferred the freezer, but it would depend on your availability of electricity. We put meat that we butchered ourselves in the freezer and then froze it. Loaded the freezer up and drove 25 hours without ever plugging it in again. Meat was still frozen when we got home.

Latest posts

Back