• Help Support TNDeer:

First freeze

We will likely have some down here around the 15th and 16th. It is usually 5-8 degrees cooler in the hollows than the forecast.

forecast.GIF

We will likely have some down here around the 15th and 16th. It is usually 5-8 degrees cooler in the hollows than the forecast.
My weather station at our family hunting property is linked via Wi-Fi to the internet, so I can see the data any time. But it also allows me to see every weather station of that brand in the entire world. What I like to do is look at the nearest stations to mine that are in different terrain, to see the difference location makes. My station (and my property) are hills above big bottomlands. But a couple of people in the adjoining bottomlands also have the same brand weather station, so I can see their data too. On those perfectly calm, cold mornings, where the coldest air settles in the lowest areas, the bottomlands can literally be 14 degrees colder than at my station 300 feet up in the hills.

My weather station at our family hunting property is linked via Wi-Fi to the internet, so I can see the data any time. But it also allows me to see every weather station of that brand in the entire world. What I like to do is look at the nearest stations to mine that are in different terrain, to see the difference location makes. My station (and my property) are hills above big bottomlands. But a couple of people in the adjoining bottomlands also have the same brand weather station, so I can see their data too. On those perfectly calm, cold mornings, where the coldest air settles in the lowest areas, the bottomlands can literally be 14 degrees colder than at my station 300 feet up in the hills.
Creek bottoms ;)

im ready to get bucks moving around

It's about that time. Right now is when I see bucks really beginning to shift. There are always a few early and a few late but right now is when I begin to notice it most.

Since I live 7hrs away from my Ohio property I wanted to find a way to help me plan my hunts with actual intel, so I tore a page from @BSK book and made a graph. Since I'm only after 5.5yr+ wall hangers that's all I charted. The graph shows only October & November and each data point accounts for one day when there was at least one buck fitting that criteria using the property during shooting light. It doesn't account for how many cameras or how many times a buck was on camera or how many bucks. It's just if any big buck was on the property during daylight. No night pics recorded. I wanted to see a pattern that I could plan for, a span of time when I could plan a hunt. Sure enough that pattern showed up. Looks like if I had only a week to hunt it would be Oct 27 thru Nov 3.

It's very limited, narrowly focused data so not terribly easy to decipher "why" some days seem awesome and others are completely empty. Best I can figure is it has something to do with the estrus cycles of the resident does. Tomorrow is a significant spike surrounded by nothing so I assume that's an early estrus doe. Being only 100 acres it's significant to me that in a 5yr span a huge old buck was roaming the property in daylight to the day 3 of those years, but none the week before or several days after. Then again Nov 15 thru Nov 19 is empty. Could that be lockdown?

When I get time I'll do the same with my TN place.

1728398736225.webp

What brand do you have? I'm looking to replace mine.

It's about that time. Right now is when I see bucks really beginning to shift. There are always a few early and a few late but right now is when I begin to notice it most.

Since I live 7hrs away from my Ohio property I wanted to find a way to help me plan my hunts with actual intel, so I tore a page from @BSK book and made a graph. Since I'm only after 5.5yr+ wall hangers that's all I charted. The graph shows only October & November and each data point accounts for one day when there was at least one buck fitting that criteria using the property during shooting light. It doesn't account for how many cameras or how many times a buck was on camera or how many bucks. It's just if any big buck was on the property during daylight. No night pics recorded. I wanted to see a pattern that I could plan for, a span of time when I could plan a hunt. Sure enough that pattern showed up. Looks like if I had only a week to hunt it would be Oct 27 thru Nov 3.

It's very limited, narrowly focused data so not terribly easy to decipher "why" some days seem awesome and others are completely empty. Best I can figure is it has something to do with the estrus cycles of the resident does. Tomorrow is a significant spike surrounded by nothing so I assume that's an early estrus doe. Being only 100 acres it's significant to me that in a 5yr span a huge old buck was roaming the property in daylight to the day 3 of those years, but none the week before or several days after. Then again Nov 15 thru Nov 19 is empty. Could that be lockdown?

When I get time I'll do the same with my TN place.

View attachment 246126
Lockdown, gun season..?

Got home last night from 3 weeks in WY mountains & never saw the first frost. Never put on base layers & warmest piece of clothing I put on was a vest. Weird weather for sure.

What weather station are you using?

Latest posts

Back