• Help Support TNDeer:

First Rockfish of the year

Dbllunger

Hit my summertime rockfish waters yesterday late afternoon for the first time this year. There was tons of bait in the area and I saw several fish cruising by and following my lure to the boat. Had a few swipe and miss. About 7:00 pm I had one finally hook up. Hit it like a NFL linebacker and the drag started screaming. Luckily I was able to maneuver him just enough to keep him out of hangups and in the deeper water. Finally got him to the boat and lifted him out with the Boga grips. It weighed in at 26 lbs on the money. Snapped a quick picture then held him in the water until he was ready to go. He swam off fine so hopefully he will be ok.

A solid 26lber is a good start to the season.

Very cool dude, congrats! I "saw" the first ones of the year in the river I fish for them. Caught me completely off guard since it's usually later when they show up. I had nothing to catch them with! :bash:

CATCHDAWG":3mftthvf said:
Very cool dude, congrats! I "saw" the first ones of the year in the river I fish for them. Caught me completely off guard since it's usually later when they show up. I had nothing to catch them with! :bash:

LOL....better carry your big stick next time. A hot and dry summer is predicted here which usually makes for a good rockfish season for where I fish.

jlmustain":1lqo3fpn said:
Awesome! I've never caught one and I'd love to! How do you fish for them? What kind of waters do I fish in for them?

I use redfin crankbaits in the 7" version on a medium/heavy rod with baitcaster reels and 17lb mono line. Sorry, but I can't get specific on spots but they are found in the Cumberland and other rivers and also Old Hickory and Percy Priest Lakes here in middle Tennessee.

Hit the cumberland from below cordell hull dam to the mouth of the caney right now. When the water gets warm turn up the caney fork as far up.as you can. There are some deeper holes even around the shallows. They love that cool.well oxygenated water! Skipjack, live gizzard shad, large crank baits,redfins. It's a blast. I've fished these waters for years. Caney is probably getting good now. If the waters running they will bite. No water running makes for a slow day.

Back