• Help Support TNDeer:

Growing milkweed?

That is interesting that multiple people have stated that it is generally found in low lying areas. I have it on hill sides far from the creek bottom. I am starting to think i may have misidentified what it is.
I'm close to you...

The purple flowered milkweed will grow great in dry soils in our area. The orange flowered one the Monarchs prefer needs more moisture. I have some on dry rocky hillsides, but most of the orange flowering plant prefers the flatter ground.

Ok, but WHY? Other than needing the floaters, what is the HUGE benefit with milkweed? Other than monarch butterflies, what else gets and use from them?
Im asking because Ive got some that grow in a powerline cut behind my house that I keep mowed and milkweeds will take it over if I let them.

Ok, but WHY? Other than needing the floaters, what is the HUGE benefit with milkweed? Other than monarch butterflies, what else gets and use from them?
Im asking because Ive got some that grow in a powerline cut behind my house that I keep mowed and milkweeds will take it over if I let them.

Beating a deer's nose is the hardest part about hunting and milkweed takes the guess work out of it. Pretty huge benefit in my opinion. Without the floaters it's just another weed.

Really wild to use it and see what the wind is doing down in the bottoms in the mountains. I've dropped it with the wind in my face and seen it float in the direction the wind was blowing then circle back and land out in front of me. Never would have seen that without it.

Really wild to use it and see what the wind is doing down in the bottoms in the mountains. I've dropped it with the wind in my face and seen it float in the direction the wind was blowing then circle back and land out in front of me. Never would have seen that without it.

Yeah it really is eye opening the paths it'll take. I've watched it suck straight down along the tree trunk then swoop out away before hitting the ground and start creeping uphill staying just a foot or so off the ground. Half an hour later I throw more out and watch it float up toward the sky. Weird stuff. You can guess what's going on but then you actually see it and find out how wrong you were lol.

Everyone talks hunt the wind…….
Most have never hunted mountains…..
Everything is a bedding, feeding area.
You never know where deer bed….. or move to….
Wind changes direction faster and more often than a women's mind!!!!!
Deer are in the woods, winds gonna blow.
Get in a stand, sit still, and hope for the best.
East Tennessee Mountain Hunter tactics.

Everyone talks hunt the wind…….
Most have never hunted mountains…..
Everything is a bedding, feeding area.
You never know where deer bed….. or move to….
Wind changes direction faster and more often than a women's mind!!!!!
Deer are in the woods, winds gonna blow.
Get in a stand, sit still, and hope for the best.
East Tennessee Mountain Hunter tactics.
Amen!!!

Latest posts

Back