• Help Support TNDeer:

Fish finder

J.W.308

Looking to buy a new fish finder for my boat . Don't want to break the bank on a unit or have to take a computer class to learn how to use it . Any suggestions ???

I'm not a tech type person, so I need something I can operate as well. I've found the Garmin fish/plotters to be accurate and pretty easy to use. My last was a 93sv chirp that I got in last year's Bass Pro spring sale.

Bass Pro has some pretty good deals going on right now with the Spring Classic.

I just bought a Lowrance Hook 2 7x with triple shot transducer.Which means it has a GPS but not chart plotter and the side scan and down scan and chirp sonar.I dont need the chartplotter cause i fish the same lakes not 10,000 different one the more expensive model allows.I havn't put it on the boat yet.But i will soon.I like the reviews plus the 7 inch screen is huge compared to my old one.I got it for 399.99.Of course right after i ordered it i found it on Cabelas website for 350.00 right now.

I will second on the garmins. They are pretty user friendly. Simple setup and instructions.
I used to have hummingbirds and downloaded the user manual and it was like 80-100 printed pages and this was before all the "new " innovations in depthfinders. The garmin Stryker and the 73 echo map chirp I have now were about 9 pages and 40 pages each.

Dollar wise , it is entirely up to the user how much they want to spend for features. You can save a bunch at the beginning of the "new model" year when they reduce the "old model" to clear them out.

for $350 the hook 2 7x series is a descent entry level machine. what i dont like: only CHIRP at 200khz traditional sonar and that sonar cone is ultra wide at 40 degrees. what that means is the cone relationship to depth is about 1:1. example: fish marked at 30ft could be 15ft to left, right, fore or aft of the transducer. makes it a little harder to pinpoint fish than an 83/200 khz, which the 200khz on other transducers are 3:1 which would mean some of those fish would be a third that distance. run an 83khz and 200khz at the same time and you can pretty much find them on the first or second pass. doesnt look like the side and down scan are CHIRP.

if i had $500-600 to spend it would be on the garmin plus 73sv at $599 or the lowrance elite 7 ti totalscan or humminbird helix 7 si g2 at basspro for $499.

the garmin 7sv stryker plus are about $499 but only come with a chartplotter and no mapping.

Spurhunter":nlt9rv9j said:
WTM":nlt9rv9j said:
if i had $500-600 to spend it would be on the garmin plus 73sv at $599.

Bass Pro and several others have been running the 93sv plus for $599 every few months. With the SI transducer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yes that is a better buy but bass pro or cabelas didnt show any online, but cabelas showed them at that price as they may still have some in some stores. that means they are usually running out at that price. if he is not in a hurry it would probably be better to see if they drop some more inventory.

Here's a cheap way to find fish if you can get a friend to help you..... [emoji16]

52365badb395c718476852b1630caec8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

WTM":38i20u58 said:
Spurhunter":38i20u58 said:
WTM":38i20u58 said:
if i had $500-600 to spend it would be on the garmin plus 73sv at $599.

Bass Pro and several others have been running the 93sv plus for $599 every few months. With the SI transducer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

yes that is a better buy but bass pro or cabelas didnt show any online, but cabelas showed them at that price as they may still have some in some stores. that means they are usually running out at that price. if he is not in a hurry it would probably be better to see if they drop some more inventory.
They had them in stock a day or so ago at cabellas,when you call you have to give them the numbers below or they say they are out.Hope they got more stock on the cheaper version,cause they have sold a bunch with the livescope craze.

item number 027372 sku 04934802

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

i just checked cabelas and they arent listed for that price online since i checked today, so if i wanted a 93sv for the $599 price id be calling basspro and cabelas asap to see if they still have that SKU blueball posted.

the gps store or hodges marine may drop them again so id keep an eye out on those two stores.

Latest posts

Back