• Help Support TNDeer:

Fish help

TRIGGER

I should know but I don't. Can someone give me a crash corse on stripe,striper,white bass,yellow bass,rock fish, hybrids and whatever else I'm missing that looks similar.
We got into a mess of them today and had a blast. Caught them from 8" to 7 lbs. We caught several types but was unsure exactly what was what.

White bass (also called "Stripe") generally weigh up to 2 or 3 lbs. Maybe bigger, but that's rare. They are native to Tennessee.

Yellow bass look similar but are much smaller (less than a pound) and have a yellow tinge. They're also native to Tennessee.

Stripers (with an "r) are also known as rockfish. They are a saltwater species that has been introduced to freshwater. Range in size from a few inches up to 60 lbs.-plus.

Hybrids (also known as Cherokee bass) are a cross between native white bass and introduced stripers. Generally weigh from 2 or 3 lbs. up to 20 lbs. (rarely larger).

Where were you fishing? (That can help determine fish ID's as well.)

See image below or: https://www.tn.gov/twra/article/tempera ... cation-key

Attachments

• moronekey.jpg
    moronekey.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 525
We were fishing ledges on KY lake catching them from 20' to 48' jigging a steal shad. Caught a few on a 4" swim bait and a few on the A rig. After finding them with the swim bait and A rig I switched to the steel shad to target them. We sat there for two hours or so and were catching them on every cast. It was fun.

good numbers white bass all along KY lake ledges. in march you can catch the big stripers in the mouth of the big sandy but the run only lasts a week or so. i go by tooth patch to tell the difference. good eating fish if you cut out the red lateral line meat.

Back