• Help Support TNDeer:

Fish ID please

m r too ducks

Pretty sure I know what this is but wanted to double check with the brain trust.
20230815_201904.jpg

Hmmm......Now I'm a little more interested.
Here on the upper Hiwassee, they eat them pretty good. I have caught 7 fish on them. All have been low 20's to high 30's class fish. Baits were 1.5lb up to 3lbs, yeah 3lbs. I prefer trout, but I always keep a few redhorse in my 100gal "home tank" fur when trout are tough, especially now, late summer. Have a buddy who fishes them down on the Coosa River in Georgia. Says they eat the piss out of them there as well.

We have a winner. I thought it was a redhorse too but after getting a reply to an email to TWRA, it is confirmed to be a white sucker. Thats the good news, bad news is, it was more than likely the state record and is still swimming.
Popular up north
Wisconsin and Minnesota guys will spear then pickle them.
Musky guys in the fall will use them for bait.
18-20" are not unthinkable.

An old man I used to coon hunt with would take all the redhorse he could get. I took him and his wife about 200 one weekend. They canned them and made fish patties similar to salmon patties.
In the spring when they shoal they are fun to snag. People where I grew up would float the river at night and gig them also.

As kids we would wade gig them in that cold water and carry them out on stringers attached to our gigs like we were on an African safari all the way back to the cooler.

Back