• Help Support TNDeer:

Fish mounts

Minimum size for me is 8lbs for a largemouth even though I did catch one over 8 the other day and forgot to get the measurements before I turned her back loose lol. If I catch a smallmouth over 6lbs I'll be getting a replica made. I've caught a bunch of 5's but I haven't broke the 6lb mark yet. I had one break my line last year right at the boat that was over 6 for sure, may have even been 7.

Never had one mounted.
I always said if I caught a LM over 8 pounds I would have it mounted.
Caught a few 7 1/2s but never broke the 8 pound mark.
I highly doubt I would have one mounted now though.

Might mount my first TARP bream though. :D

Mount any size fish that tickles you! I have 3.8, 4.8, and 6.2. I'll mount any that feels special to me.

duckriver":2j5zugr5 said:
Let's see them. Also what would you consider the min size to mount a smallie or largemouth?
i would never mount a fish. pictures are good for me

Got one of each done but only because they swallowed the lure and died. The LM was 8 1/2 and the SM was 6 1/2. I said I'd never mount a LM unless it was over 10. I've caught several over 9 but none over 10 yet. A buddy does taxidermy and did the LM for $125 I think. It was his first fish. The SM is my biggest to date and she swallowed a rattle trap. The LM swallowed a Texas rigged zoom cherry seed worm.

I dislike replica's, all of mine are skin mounts. Replicas look like something you can buy at walmart. Nice mounts Silver fox

+1 on the replica mounts for me. Fish that are trophy size are too special to only be caught once. IMO, they need to be released so they can be caught again. Most of the replica mounts I see are much more realistic than a skin mount.

And, Silver Fox, not a knock on you for doing a mount on a fish that was going to die. But, if they can be released to swim away to live, the replica mount is the way to go.

Silver fox said both fished swallowed the baits and Died...when I catch the next trophy for me, I will be the last person to catch it. Replica s look like a replica super fake looking to me! I love skin mounts.

Thanks guys.

I can see it both ways on the mounts... I hate to kill a fish to mount it but like wobblegobble, I am not a fan of replica mounts for the most part. I've only seen a few that looked realistic. I don't know what I will do if I ever catch one over 10. I guess it'll depend on where and when it happens. I'm probably a little different than most bass fishermen. I will keep a few in the winter to eat from time to time. All are 2 pounds or less except for a few we caught 2 years ago when my brother came up from SC and wanted to cook some.

The day I caught that LM, I had 2 die on me and my buddy mounted them both. He kept the smaller one to display in his shop.

I don't have an issue with skin mounts. It's your fish, do as you please. A lot of the replica vs skin mount debate stems from people considering bass a sport fish (laughable) and really getting worked up over the believe that catch and release is mandatory for bass. Bass put on some good acrobatics but a sport fish? Anyone who thinks bass are a sport fish really need to do some saltwater fishing. Bass are ugly and really don't fight that hard. They're a food fish, and a tasty one at that. Trout are at least very pretty fish so I kind of understand why people want them released but... have you ever eaten them pan simmered in butter and lemon juice?? Good stuff.

I personally don't know that I'd kill one just to mount it but I also have not caught a true wall hanger. If the day comes that I catch a 10 pounder I just may do so and I don't have an issue with anyone else doing it.

Latest posts

Back