• Help Support TNDeer:

Fished till it hurt

Dbllunger

Hit the waters below Wheeler Dam in Alabama for some fishing Thursday afternoon and Friday morning. This time of year we will usually catch our own bait (gizzard and yellowtail shad) and drift in the generation. Thursday afternoon the fishing was fast and good. Caught lots of good smallmouth and largemouth. Also got into some big whites and one small striper (5 or so pounds). A few catfish and lots of drum also offered themselves up for the fight.

Headed back early Friday morning expecting it would be great and it was. But not until 11:00 am or so. Before that the fishing was tough but then they just turned on. No telling how many great smallmouth we caught along with largemouth, catfish and some big heavy drum. While the drum aren't our target fish, they fight well all the same.

By the time we quit around 2 pm or so, I had had all I wanted. My shoulders were aching from fighting so many big fish in the heavy current. Almost every small mouth caught was in the 2-4 pound range with just a few smaller ones. The large mouth were all cookie cutter in the two pound range.

Great fishery down there at the right times of year but would not recommend getting in that swift current in a boat unless you are with someone that has experience navigating that type of water. Luckily the guy I was with has vast experience with that water and I have run a boat there myself several times by myself as well.

Here is a pic of one of our typical catches. My shoulder is still sore. :)

Latest posts

Back