• Help Support TNDeer:

fishing for carp

Canned whole kernel sweet corn. Buy a couple cans and throw a few handfuls into the water around the area you will put your lines. They may find it within minutes or hours depending on how close they are and if they are feeding. When carp aren't in feeding mode they won't bite. When they are you can have some quick action. You might wait 5 minutes, 25 minutes, or 2.5 hours for a bite. As long as the corn is on your hook, leave it in the water.

Now that the area is chummed, I like to get everything rigged up. A split shot or two about 15" up the line to hold it on the bottom. Add an egg sinker if you need more weight. You want them to run freely when they pick it up.

Hooks I always go with a #2 baitholder. Load it up with corn but leave the point exposed.

Cast into your chummed area and put rods in rod holders with the drag set very loose and put bells on the rod tips. Enjoy cold beverages while you wait...

When a carp picks it up you may see the line tap a few times or move out slowly. When they have the bait and run, they will run hard. Grab your rod while holding the line tight against the rod, set the hook, then tighten your drag to a normal level, but not too tight, they can break you off. They fight like a freight train and they love to swim toward snags.

TARP is 34" for Common Carp, but keep in mind the flooded fields may also have lots of buffalo or grass carp, neither of which count for the TARP award.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple handfuls of corn meal, and enough peanut butter to make a dough all with it. Tablespoon or so of vanilla extract and a pack of grape Kool aid. Knead it till it's doughy and take just enough to cover a #6 or #8 treble hook. Chunk it out as if your catfishi and leave the reel in free spool. Don't set hook till fish is running with it.

I've caught'em with that dough bait for years. Used corn and it works, but not as well as the dough. I bet we caught over a hundre one day on ft loudoun lake. I prefer to shoot'em in the face with a arrow, but they're sure fun to catch as well!!!

rukiddin":127u5pza said:
Couple handfuls of corn meal, and enough peanut butter to make a dough all with it. Tablespoon or so of vanilla extract and a pack of grape Kool aid. Knead it till it's doughy and take just enough to cover a #6 or #8 treble hook. Chunk it out as if your catfishi and leave the reel in free spool. Don't set hook till fish is running with it.

I've caught'em with that dough bait for years. Used corn and it works, but not as well as the dough. I bet we caught over a hundre one day on ft loudoun lake. I prefer to shoot'em in the face with a arrow, but they're sure fun to catch as well!!!
if you say it works better than corn then I might have to try it.

A box of cheap bran cereal will make enough bait to last for a couple of days. Take enough out to make a ball about the size of a nickel. Wet it and squeeze it in a ball around your hook.

I've always used dough balls with good luck. They'll work on the buffalo as well. I've always heard that they can feel your pulse if you're holding the rod in your hands and will stop their bite. Don't know for sure that's true but it sure seems like it. I don't touch my rod until they begin their run.

catman529":2ojdl9qt said:
rukiddin":2ojdl9qt said:

if you say it works better than corn then I might have to try it.

Try it!!! My buddy was a big time carp fishermen (but not the bat$h!t crazy kind) and that's the recipe he always used. He didn't like using corn. He said his recipe put out a lot more scent in the water. We'd catch everything with it. From carp and buffalo to suckers and catfish.

Snowwolfe":19vkm2p8 said:
I would love to get into some carp and try smoking a couple in the smoker. Any recommendations on where to fish within a 2 hour drive of Crossville?
Thanks

Anywhere you have a lake. Carp fishing is the only fishing where'd I'd rather fish on the bank than from a boat. Parks and recreational areas that allow bank fishing are always good places. And if you have a park where people feed ducks, that's usually always a goldmine for carp fishing.

We fished one day down at the park at the fort loudoun dam. There is no telling how many we caught that day. Ran out of bait and had to go to the grocery store and get stuff to make more dough. That's the only day other than going offshore fishing, that I was sore from catching so many fish. I'd guess we caught 250 between 3 of us. And we're sitting side by side. I. Eat there wasn't 5 minutes that entire day that we didn't have a fish or two or 3 on. We started out with 6-8 rods set up and with in 30 minutes, we were only fishing one for each because so many fish were biting.

Snowwolfe":3ujhvi8n said:
I would love to get into some carp and try smoking a couple in the smoker. Any recommendations on where to fish within a 2 hour drive of Crossville?
Thanks

Dale Hollow, Watts Bar, Center Hill, are all close to Crossville. Daddy's Creek and the Obed River may offer chances to catch carp also.

7mm08":1abifzri said:
First two weeks of July the Willow Fly hatch turns Watts Bar MAGICAL!!!! Old rubber lips will take a dry fly and a 20+# carp on a flyrod is all you want and more.

Rob's carp pose is pretty good, but I still think I've got the edge on him ;)

Setterman":j4dbqm01 said:
7mm08":j4dbqm01 said:
First two weeks of July the Willow Fly hatch turns Watts Bar MAGICAL!!!! Old rubber lips will take a dry fly and a 20+# carp on a flyrod is all you want and more.

Rob's carp pose is pretty good, but I still think I've got the edge on him ;)

He was trying to emulate you holding that 25+ behemoth that evening!! Good times. People never believe one can see and HEAR a million willow flies hatching at once !

Believe it or not it's like casting to cruising redfish or tarpon. Casts have to be spot on. There is a reason why carp are the #1 gamefish of the common man in Great Britain.

Latest posts

Back