• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing from a Stand Up Paddleboard?

moondawg

Any one ever fish from a Stand Up Paddleboard (aka: SUP)?

I've never been on one. I've seen people using them. And I see a lot of people using them on the saltwater forums/pages I follow. I have to say, I'm intrigued. I'm sure it would be interesting. And possibly cheaper and lighter than a fishing kayak.

Never considered it, I thought that's what all the Nashville yuppies do on Percy priest. Lol but I can see its use in something like sight fishing on flats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I see it quiet often. But only way I see people do it is having some sort of 20 qt Yeti, Rtic type cooler to sit on.

TreyB":3mkno1pv said:
I see it quiet often. But only way I see people do it is having some sort of 20 qt Yeti, Rtic type cooler to sit on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That does seem to be true. All the pics I've seen involve some sort of cooler...usually the Yeti/RTIC type coolers. I'm sure they are handy to sit/stand on.

they are stable as he!! I couldn't believe it. way more stable than any kayak I have ever been and I have fished out of mutiple jacksons

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Daniel90":1c108e8r said:
they are stable as he!! I couldn't believe it. way more stable than any kayak I have ever been and I have fished out of mutiple jacksons

They seem sturdy. They look like they are just oversized surfboards with plenty of room to move around on.

moondawg":3jxjxrju said:
Daniel90":3jxjxrju said:

They seem sturdy. They look like they are just oversized surfboards with plenty of room to move around on.
pretty much what they are

I've been thinking about the same thing. I fly fish quite a bit and it is a pain in the butt out of my kayak. Bass fishing out of it is pretty tough too. I think both would be much easier off an SUP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser":s2jaociz said:
Prepare to hang onto your pants when you start pricing SUPs. Dang things are $$$, even the used ones.

Some of the ones I've seen weren't too bad, around $300-400 range. I'm sure that's the low end, though. Like kayaks, I'm sure you can spend way more.

easy45":1fczjjn9 said:
Come out to Chickasaw and try it, we have them for rent on the lake.

SWEET! Looks like I might make a road trip next weekend! 8-) I'd probably rather try it there than at the crowded Shelby Farms. And I can try fishing from it, unlike Shelby Farms.

Growing up in Santa Barbara I used to fish off of my long board all the time on the ocean. Paddle out to the kelp line from a 1/2 to a mile out and fish for white seabass, yellowtail, halibut and bass, it was fun. My SUP is just a wider version than my surfboard, so should be no problem. Every once in awhile we would hook into a giant black sea bass or a thresher shark and go on sleigh ride. LOL

Larry

There great for sight fishing, use to take one in my boat and then get on it in very shallow water and sight fish bones and reds a lot. I would save up and spend the money on one designed for fishing.....

moondawg":3kua98jb said:
easy45":3kua98jb said:
Come out to Chickasaw and try it, we have them for rent on the lake.

SWEET! Looks like I might make a road trip next weekend! 8-) I'd probably rather try it there than at the crowded Shelby Farms. And I can try fishing from it, unlike Shelby Farms.

Come on out, if you come Sunday I'm working a day shift, find me when you get here and I'll get you one, I'll be gone Saturday so the boat dock is open 10-6, paddleboards are $10 for an hour.

easy45":vxbc355r said:
Come on out, if you come Sunday I'm working a day shift, find me when you get here and I'll get you one, I'll be gone Saturday so the boat dock is open 10-6, paddleboards are $10 for an hour.

Cool! It's looking more like maybe next weekend, as my parents are coming back from out of town this weekend.

Poser":1dzmufgf said:
I ended up getting an inflatable. I got one that was a Amazon return $475 -full kit. At 15 psi, its stiff as a board. You do float a bit higher than on a hardboard which might be more difficult to balance if you don't have good balance, but I find it to be entirely stable. I mainly got an inflatable because I don't have much storage space. It also seems like the inflatables are more popular around here then the hard boards. People float down the river, deflate and hitchhike or ride the city bus back uptown.

Interesting!

Back