• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing Noob

Weegee

I have been wanting to dip my toes into fishing for a couple years now, and I'm finally getting around to it. Just like hunting, my primary goals are to enjoy the out of doors and get something to eat. A buddy and I are going to hit up Percy Priest tomorrow morning to see if we can catch anything. The plan is to be in the area where streams feed into the lake down on the Rutherford County side. My buddy would like to catch some catfish, which is fine by me. I wouldn't mind anything in the pan fish category either. We've got a couple rods, a variety of tackle, bait, etc. Any general advice for a complete novice?

I have been wanting to dip my toes into fishing for a couple years now, and I'm finally getting around to it. Just like hunting, my primary goals are to enjoy the out of doors and get something to eat. A buddy and I are going to hit up Percy Priest tomorrow morning to see if we can catch anything. The plan is to be in the area where streams feed into the lake down on the Rutherford County side. My buddy would like to catch some catfish, which is fine by me. I wouldn't mind anything in the pan fish category either. We've got a couple rods, a variety of tackle, bait, etc. Any general advice for a complete novice?
Have fun!

I am a newb too and would very much like to get some crappie this year. Out of curiosity, Why bank fishing? I always kind of assumed it would be better to go from a boat.
My response had nothing to do with where the fishing would be better. Weegee flipped a canoe during deer season. It was for safety reasons..lol

I am a newb too and would very much like to get some crappie this year. Out of curiosity, Why bank fishing? I always kind of assumed it would be better to go from a boat.
I've always found fishing to be intimidating. The terminology is super confusing and esoteric. But this year I've decided I'm just gonna go out there and be bad at it until I catch something.

I've always found fishing to be intimidating. The terminology is super confusing and esoteric. But this year I've decided I'm just gonna go out there and be bad at it until I catch something.
Good luck out there! I know what you mean, it's intimidating to find the right spots and then lets say you do find the right spots, but if you don't have the right bait, then tough luck. I feel like deer hunting is less complicated than fishing.

It's not intimidating unless you read the Bass Pro Shops sale fliers with all the high price stuff. Love to have a nickel for every fish I landed with my old Zebco 33. Could have retired 40 years ago. You can fish from the bank with a total expenditure of under $100. Always advocated bass tournaments without depth/fish finders, trolling motors and using a jon boat with oars.

It's not intimidating unless you read the Bass Pro Shops sale fliers with all the high price stuff. Love to have a nickel for every fish I landed with my old Zebco 33. Could have retired 40 years ago. You can fish from the bank with a total expenditure of under $100. Always advocated bass tournaments without depth/fish finders, trolling motors and using a jon boat with oars.
lol, a good friend and co-worker started with a zebco 33. 5 years later he was fishing in the Classic.

It's not so much the money as the knowing what to do with every little piece of gear. I'm just trying things out as I go and I figure within a couple years I'll know what my preferences are.

Good luck out there! I know what you mean, it's intimidating to find the right spots and then lets say you do find the right spots, but if you don't have the right bait, then tough luck. I feel like deer hunting is less complicated than fishing.
According to what kinda fishing. There are so many different ways. Same as hunting. Just gotta find what you enjoy and have a little luck at. And keep trying.

Deer leave sign. Other than folks giving away their spots to you or pure trial and error; how do you scout for fish? Seriously asking.
there are a half dozen basic patterns that fish follow throughout the year and they all are dictated by water temperature (bait movements) and in the spring more so by increasing daylight leading to the spawn.

i think of it as a loop that would start at the main lake channel at the creek trib mouth and runs all the way to the back of the bay(creek) and back to the main channel. depending on the time of year and water temps, fish will be somewhere along that path related to cover and structure to ambush bait and to spawn.

Latest posts

Back