• Help Support TNDeer:

Fishing Noob

If I was you, Id start out fishing creeks. I grew up fishing creeks for smallmouth and once I got a bass boat it made my learning curve much easier since I fish the Tennessee river a lot. For one thing, when fishing creeks you get bit a lot if the creek is half way decent. Learning to detect a bite is pretty important haha and a creek will allow you to do that quickly. Also, creeks show you how fish setup up in current which is very important on a lot of lakes in Tennessee. Also, you can see the bottom composition and the contours of the creek much easier since the water is usually clearer which will also allow you to see what type of structure or cover fish are relating to.

Id start in late April and go through September and fish creeks. Get a spinning reel and rod (7 foot Medium Light) with 6-8 pound Fluorocarbon and get some 1/8 jig heads and throw either a zoom baby brush hawg or a zoom ultra vibe speed craw. Both in watermelon seed color. I have literally caught hundreds and hundreds of smallmouth on that setup. And you will catch red eyes (thats what I have always called them) really easy on this set up as well.

there are a half dozen basic patterns that fish follow throughout the year and they all are dictated by water temperature (bait movements) and in the spring more so by increasing daylight leading to the spawn.

i think of it as a loop that would start at the main lake channel at the creek trib mouth and runs all the way to the back of the bay(creek) and back to the main channel. depending on the time of year and water temps, fish will be somewhere along that path related to cover and structure to ambush bait and to spawn.
Thats probably the simplest I've ever heard this explained. very cool. thx

If I was you, Id start out fishing creeks. I grew up fishing creeks for smallmouth and once I got a bass boat it made my learning curve much easier since I fish the Tennessee river a lot. For one thing, when fishing creeks you get bit a lot if the creek is half way decent. Learning to detect a bite is pretty important haha and a creek will allow you to do that quickly. Also, creeks show you how fish setup up in current which is very important on a lot of lakes in Tennessee. Also, you can see the bottom composition and the contours of the creek much easier since the water is usually clearer which will also allow you to see what type of structure or cover fish are relating to.

Id start in late April and go through September and fish creeks. Get a spinning reel and rod (7 foot Medium Light) with 6-8 pound Fluorocarbon and get some 1/8 jig heads and throw either a zoom baby brush hawg or a zoom ultra vibe speed craw. Both in watermelon seed color. I have literally caught hundreds and hundreds of smallmouth on that setup. And you will catch red eyes (thats what I have always called them) really easy on this set up as well.
Do you usually fish the creek close to where it drains into the larger lake?

I've got a trip planned in April with some guys who have way more experience than me. Definitely gonna pick their brains.
That will definitely help. They will show you how to fish certain baits. Crankbaits, topwater baits, worms and Jigs all have different uses. A good guide will show you how to use them.

Having said that, you'll eventually find YOUR style and choice of baits that you like.

Latest posts

Back