• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly casting?

WTM

so is it a bad idea or a bad habit to shoot line on the back cast as well as the forward cast while false casting? all the videos and instruction ive been following say only to do it on the front cast. i can see where that may apply to trout streams where casting space restrictions.

the reason i ask, is by accident, i find that i can cast distance really quick with just 2 false casts with a haul at the end. i tried going after common carp in the flats last year but soon found out how sensitive these fish are and could never get close enough with spooking them.

thanks

That's called a double haul. shooting just on the front cast is called single hauling. Some form of hauling/shooting is required for us mere mortals to turn over heavy or wind resistant flies. Figure out a casting stroke that works for you and don't worry about what the rest of us think about it.

False casting is for movies, not fishing. The less time the line spends in the air, the more fish you'll catch.

MickThompson":1fqtb8r0 said:
That's called a double haul. shooting just on the front cast is called single hauling. Some form of hauling/shooting is required for us mere mortals to turn over heavy or wind resistant flies. Figure out a casting stroke that works for you and don't worry about what the rest of us think about it.

False casting is for movies, not fishing. The less time the line spends in the air, the more fish you'll catch.
Very well said!

not double hauling. i found this article and it is exactly what im doing for now:

https://www.demystifly.com/single-post/ ... Directions

i have been doing the single haul but havent put it together for the double haul.

speaking of the double haul, are you letting line out with the left hand during the hauls or is the line held tight and just increasing line speed and then shooting line at the end of the forward cast?

That's not hauling either single or double. Both are very effective at increasing line speed and also increasing distance, accuracy and limiting false casts.

What you're asking about is called slipping line. It's is extremely effective to slip line as your back cast fully loads. It lengthens your distance by overloading your Rod. If timed right your forward cast will have tons of speed to get max distance

Years ago when I used a fly rod some I didn't have any help, I didn't know you were not supposed to feed line on the back cast, always did when trying to reach a certain spot, I wouldn't ever be able to fly fish small brooks with that old rod due to the length unless I used it like a cane pole lol

WTM":2cgml7pf said:
so is it a bad idea or a bad habit to shoot line on the back cast as well as the forward cast while false casting? all the videos and instruction ive been following say only to do it on the front cast. i can see where that may apply to trout streams where casting space restrictions.

the reason i ask, is by accident, i find that i can cast distance really quick with just 2 false casts with a haul at the end. i tried going after common carp in the flats last year but soon found out how sensitive these fish are and could never get close enough with spooking them.

thanks

For consistent casting, your forward false cast and back false cast need to be pretty equal in nature. You can, and should, slip line on the back cast in order to get more of the "head" of the line out to properly "shoot" on your forward delivery cast. But, in slipping line, you don't want to create slack where your rod is not properly "loaded" to begin your forward cast. Try slipping a little, and as you learn to add power to your back cast through double hauling, you can add more to more quickly have the head out to shoot on your delivery cast.

I used to have to do fly casting for extreme distance as part of an outdoor competition. A double haul is a tug on the line on both the back and front cast. I teach that unless you are trying to shoot 80+ feet of line you do not need to let any line slide on the back cast. I fish and guide under many situations for many species.Only extreme situations call for allowing any line to go on the back cast portion of the stroke.

Latest posts

Back