• Help Support TNDeer:

Sewn eye tether?

Ok, I am going to get a little controversial here.

Let me begin with this: I am a retired parachute rigger, school trained in sewing parachutes and other airborne and airdrop equipment. While at Ft Bragg, we were the first ones to make Riggers Belts (still called that) due to the drowning of some guys going through the Recondo course. Here at Ft Campbell, we made some of the first tie-ins for our guys that ride the pods on the MH-6 Little Birds, a piece of life saving equipment. Before I would agree to let my shop do this I had a certified lab do stress tests on the setup to make sure everything would hold as that is all that holds them onto the A/C.

1728575471008.webp

Ok, now: What is this for? I know saddle hunting, but is it the tether, bridge, belt etc? Each piece takes different stresses, from static to dynamic. The tether, bridge and saddle take the most IMO, because if you happen to slip and fall, that would take extra G's, so depending on weight, distance etc, it can be considerable. The Lineman's belt, not so much, unless it get's caught up on a knot or limb on your way down.

1728573978468.webp

Anyway, your method will work but you need a better sewing pattern, some of the big shops are making the same sewing pattern in their ropes, albeit with machines not by hand check the video to see how the machine makes three passes and duplicate that. This is one by Bluewater, a manufacturer of repelling ropes and equipment. Quality control, testing and things like quality of thread and tightness of the stitches come into play, that is why many are afraid to do stuff like this. It can be done, but hand stitching will probably not be as good as machine stitching.

1728575099509.webp

A couple more suggestions if I may. First you are better off using a sewing awl to make stronger stitches, loose stiches weaken the bond, and allow nylon to nylon friction which also can weaken the loop, though it would take a long time. The picture and the linked one are different, I prefer the one in the link, though can't speak to the quality as I've had mine for many years.
1728575594807.webp

This allows lockstitches to be formed, so that if one stitch loop is compromised, the entire stitch won't let go, usually. Be sure to pull up on the stitch to form the loops as close to the middle as possible, again to lock the stitch with the material and undamaged loop if one or more surface stiches get damage, or internal ones for that matter.
1728589608853.webp

As to the thread, we use size FF for many things, but upholstery thread would do just fine, it is very strong and should stand up to the wear and tear of outdoor use. The awl comes with some thread, but again, can't speak to it's strength and quality and this company makes very good quality thread.

1728577123837.webp

Also, I would see about using some large shrink wrap along the stitch, to protect the thread from rubbing against the bark,

1728588800924.webp

Also may look into possibly using another method, such as a loop splice (kind of like the Chinese finger trap), which is much much stronger, but that is for rope with a core, or coreless braided which kind of has a tube like structure, I don't know which kind you have so can't say either way.

1728592989177.webp

After saying all this, unless you have a bunch to do, or just like DIY, it may be better to just buy one, as they said, these companies are paid to make sure everything works and is safety tested, if not you family can sue the mess out of them. It may also get more expensive since you have to buy these things to do the work, and a one or two off project may not be worth it.

Choosing a Chinese sweat shop version is just that, a CHOICE. Cruzr makes everything right here in Cookeville and it's good quality. I think their lower end rope is $59 but yall do you. Always baffled at folks who ask for advice and then do the total opposite. If you wanted an echo chamber you should've said that.
Well, y'all'ved got me spooked, I think I could catch an elephant's fall with it and break the rope before the loop but I guess I'll just keep it as a spare. I got some more 11mm and 8mm and made another one with a figure 8 knot for the loop. Last thing I want to think about in the tree is that stitched loop.

Well, y'all'ved got me spooked, I think I could catch an elephant's fall with it and break the rope before the loop but I guess I'll just keep it as a spare. I got some more 11mm and 8mm and made another one with a figure 8 knot for the loop. Last thing I want to think about in the tree is that stitched loop.
For what it's worth I run a rewoven figure eight,not on a bight, to attach my linesman to my saddle. Stopper knot on other end with biner and prusik or rope man. My tether I run a variety of things. Usually a cordlette(10m of 8mm) that's water knotted. I use a saddle hunter hitch(look up on YT) with another prusik on biner to my bridge. Sometimes I'll girth hitch an upper limb if the tree has one and use a clove hitch to the biner but the saddle hitch is super handy when you get the hang of it and you can load either side.
What I see people do that's the biggest mistake with a prusik is that the rope the prusik is made from has to be at least a 1/4 the size to get the proper bight into the anchor line. Most people just use the same size and it will often slip. Look up a Klemheist knot too if you don't like the prusik.

Remember to always tie off the tails of your knots too with a simple overhand to keep em snug but please don't use it to tie in anymore. Also,refer to everything Omega said in his post too.

Latest posts

Back