• Help Support TNDeer:

Fly fishing wader question

WTM

so i was looking at some waders at academy. so my question is, so you buy the waders and they have some kind of stocking at the feet and you buy boots seperate? so are the waders and boots waterproof?

Boots are not waterproof. The neoprene stocking is. The boots lace up and give better ankle support and the ability to use different sole types- felt for slick rocks, for example. I don't creek fish in the winter so I can't recommend any waders to you but do wet wade with a set of korkers from time to time.

The most important thing is to match your boots to the substrate. Rubber soles aren't much on slick rock and felt are terrible getting in and out on mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ok so you dont get soaking wet then and it kinda keeps your legs and feet protected from cold water? i was thinking of wade fishing on the Clinch and best i remember that water was cold even in the spring and summer months. cold weather kills my muscles and joints and i imagine cold water would do the same even in warm weather.

thanks

Yes, the waders are waterproof and the booties are sealed to them. The boots are made of lightweight materials that don't hold water like regular shoes do when they get wet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water on the Clinch is very cold! I have the breathable waders, and when I wade the Clinch, I usually wear fleece sweatpants under my waders. Especially if fishing early morning, which I do.

alaska_av8r":1sh4ycar said:
And before you buy boots, get some wading socks, or regular socks, put them on, then put the waders on, then size your boots
Most quality boots now for waders are one size bigger to account for the stocking foot. I've tried far too many times to tough it out in the Clinch with no waders. It's impossible for me, it physically hurts. In the summer I still wear a base layer under as the water will freeze you.

Waders and boots are near the top of the list of fly fishing items that you need to actually have in hand and try on before purchasing. Unless you have already been properly sized and are just replacing waders or wading boots, it is hard to do online. If you guess wrong, you can end up with a system that is going to be uncomfortable.

And, yes, I work in such a store. But, my comments come from making the mistake of ordering online myself, and having stuff that ended up in a yard sale due to an improper fit.

scn":1pvlhw0h said:
Waders and boots are near the top of the list of fly fishing items that you need to actually have in hand and try on before purchasing. Unless you have already been properly sized and are just replacing waders or wading boots, it is hard to do online. If you guess wrong, you can end up with a system that is going to be uncomfortable.

And, yes, I work in such a store. But, my comments come from making the mistake of ordering online myself, and having stuff that ended up in a yard sale due to an improper fit.

lol, thatd be the same as ordering a custom fit wet suit online.

Latest posts

Back