• Help Support TNDeer:

For or against

Unless someone comes up with a good reason not to...and IMO, nobody has yet, I wouldn't be against it. :grin:

In all likelihood, it will never happen anyway since the TWRA appears to be headed in a "streamlining" direction, i.e. elimination of special hunts for 2010. I would think that adding another season which accomodates only a tiny minority of tennessee hunters will not be on the agenda anytime in the foreseeable future.

MickThompson said:
I wouldn't support it. It would be an under utilized, unnecessary season. They had a nonquota one at Fall Creek Falls April 9-18. Acoording to the TWRA website, 2 turkeys were killed.

I don't think you could say it would be an under utilized season off of that one hunt or by how many turkey were killed during it. I would say the number of hunters that were on that hunt would be multiplied greatly if it were a statewide season & if it was at the time mentioned above. When the regular season isn't open. I don't see many people driving hundreds of miles to hunt there with a bow when they could hunt with one in their back door at the same time. I don't think you can go off the number of turkeys killed either. It doesn't show how many were missed, or how many spooked while someone was trying to draw that would have been dead if the person was using a shotgun.

The turkey season is very long as is. I say just about any hunter can use a shotgun, then a bow or visa-versa all over the entire season.

No special season needed. And, for what it is worth, I bow-hunt only.

TheAirMan said:
It doesn't show how many were missed, or how many spooked while someone was trying to draw that would have been dead if the person was using a shotgun.

Exactly why I wouldn't want it. Many of us are stuck with public land. It really wouldn't do anyone any favors to open the season early for a group that, if they turn out like you think they will, would educate a whole lot of birds, probably wound and lose some birds, and kill very few birds. And if it's not utilized, that's another weekend that TWRA area managers have to organize a hunt on.

Just hunt the current turkey season with your bow.

PS- The FCF hunt is a non-quota, 2 bonus bird hunt. If 2 extra turkeys don't extend your season, I don't know what will.

I personally wouldn't hunt turkey with a bow. Its hard enough to kill one with a shotgun. But I would not be opposed to a season for archery equipment.

as long as they don't cut gun season down to accomodate i don't care. I have a mowing business on the side and the wife keeps planning crap. i have not got out yet this season. i'll be out this saturday even if it is raining.

I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

Tennessee already has one of the longest turkey seasons in the U.S. with a 4-bird limit. We're already free to exclusively bow hunt every day of it, if we wish.

Establishing new special weapons seasons (unnecessarily) could cause more division and rift among hunters than it creates in real added hunting opportunity, i.e. most hunters do not even own any archery tackle.

What I'm saying is that we may do better thinking more about just hunting, than with which particular weapons hunting is allowed.

Wes Parrish said:
I think we need to be careful what we wish for.

Tennessee already has one of the longest turkey seasons in the U.S. with a 4-bird limit. We're already free to exclusively bow hunt every day of it, if we wish.

Establishing new special weapons seasons (unnecessarily) could cause more division and rift among hunters than it creates in real added hunting opportunity, i.e. most hunters do not even own any archery tackle.

What I'm saying is that we may do better thinking more about just hunting, than with which particular weapons hunting is allowed.

I absolutely agree. I have thought about this a little more, and will launch a fight which will not soon be forgotten if for some reason TWRA acted on this crazy idea.

We all have plenty of time, and can make the choice as to which weapon we want to carry. If you want to bow hunt, then bow hunt during the 42+ day season we have now.

Latest posts

Back