• Help Support TNDeer:

Got a few questions for the Catfisherman

TheDuke'sBack

Ok so I have a couple questions about trying to catch some catfish on jugs with weekend.

To start off, those of you who have been having luck catching them on jugs...what depths have you been having the most luck? Those who are using rods and reels what depths have you been seeing them at?

Next is about my bait and hooks. I plan on using chicken breast because I've seen where you guys have had great success with it. Are you guys freezing the cut chicken before you put it on the hook to help keep it on? Also what hooks should I use for the jugs to insure that both the bait and catfish stay on the hook.

Use to trot line fish a lot. Started using circle hooks and caught twice as many. Most all will be hooked in corner of the mouth

First, your depth question can't be adequately answered without knowing more specifically when and where you plan to fish? Are you planning to fish daytime or nighttime? And will you be in a lake (stillwater) situation, or in flowing current? Those variables make a huge difference.

If you fish at night, the catfish move up shallow to feed. I typically set jug lines (in the water I fish) at 6-8 feet deep, even if I expect to be drifting over 30 or 40 feet of water. But in the daytime, you'll need baits much deeper.

You want your chicken thawed. It is actually tougher when thawed. Of course you can put it on the hook frozen and it will thaw quickly once in the water. Even if thawed, I am careful about keeping my chicken cold to avoid any concerns with salmonella.

As mentioned before, I suggest circle hooks 3/0 or 5/0 depending on the brand. Or 3/0 Eagle Claw Kahle Hooks.

I hope that is some help. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies! I Know I have some khale hooks at the house but I might try and pick up some circle like you guys suggested.

I plan on setting the jugs out at night around 8-9pm and then picking them up bright and early like 6am. Ill be setting them out in small coves right off the main river channel so my jugs don't get drifted halfway down the river where ill never find them.

Another question, should I add any kinds of weights to the jug line to help keep the bait down and the jug from drifting? If so should I use have a weight on the bottom anchoring the jug in one place? or like a split shot just above the hook to add some weight to it so it still drifts a little?

Again thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it!

Model 1":2jjkqr7c said:
I wouldn't recommend leaving them out all night unattended.

x2

Jugs are meant to be fished and watched. Otherwise, they become litter as they will drift off. If your intention is to put something out at 9pm and then go back at daylight, your don't need to be doing it with jugs. You need to switch over to a trotline.

Your current plan most likely will produce a mess.

I agree... half the fun of jugfishing (for me) is hanging out with an adult beverage (a responsible amount so that scn doesn't grab me up) and watching, or listening. It is a real rush when you're sitting there in the quiet dark of night and hear jug go "Kersploosh" as a big cat takes it down. And then the big chase as you run them down. If you hook a big fish unattended, there is no way it's going to remain in the same vicinity until the next morning. And I HATE finding lost jugs floating around that folks have left out and lost.

The regulations say you are supposed to have your name and address, or TWRA identification number on each jug (use a permanent magic marker). When night fishing, I always paint jugs with some fluorescent spray paint so they show up easily when you flash a spotlight on them (and then put my name, address on top of that).

Not sure what you're using, but some folks use cut-up foam rubber swim floats as jugs. They're good, EXCEPT they are highly subject to wind-loading. A little breeze will blow them all over creation. Personally I always prefer one-quart motor oil jugs, just tie cord around the neck tight. They're low profile in the water, and not nearly as subject to wind-loading... plus they pack into a milk crate real easily. They'll easily handle most cats. A big cat -- 20-pounds-plus -- can take a one-quart jug under the water, but unless they're really big, they won't be able to keep it down long.

As for your other questions, if you're only using a 6-8 foot dropline with chicken, the chicken will sink on it's own (but trim off any fat, it floats). But if you're dropping 20-30 feet, yea, you'll probably need some weight.

Latest posts

Back