• Help Support TNDeer:

Growing milkweed?

I've got 6 packs of seed through the TDOT project milkweed deal that Remington700 posted. Got some of the taller variety and some of tbe shorter variety and we do have some naturally growing in our area but we're wanting to improve and enlarge our pollenator habitat with a variety of wildflowers and native warm season grasses.

Around here anytime a field is allowed to grow up for a year or two, there's milkweed mixed in with the briars, etc.
Sounds like great habitat...and thats part of the problem...today most fields are kept clean all the way to the edge of a closed canopy forest...but more landowners are learning that the edge and corners of a field generally don't produce crops as well due to there being less sunlight and theres more competition from trees for moisture and nutrients....so edge feather and ecotone zones are becoming more popular for the wildlife and pollenator habitat manager...great oppurtunity for land managers to let edges and corners grow up for a year or two...bush hog or burn every couple years...and even run a disk around edge to open up the seed bank. Very cost effective way to improve wildlife habitat.

Won't grow in the dry soil around my house, but the Harpeth River bottomlands (adjoined by the Harpeth Greenway) contain hundreds of acres of mostly milkweed and ironweed.

I bush hogged some strips in. 3yr old field last week and picked several milkweed pods.
Surely there's some grown up fields you can grab a few from in your area.

It grows on the sides of the road here and I've got a a bunch of it growing down many the mailbox. Picked a few pods couple years ago still have enough to use for now.

Latest posts

Back